Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Okay, okay, I didn't mean to insult any of my Yankee friends. Actually, I think I only know one true Yankee; she knows I would never whack her on the head. Besides, she had the good sense to move South and hasn't left yet.

The cartoon caused me to try to figure out what a Yankee is, exactly. I Googled, “What is a Yankee?” and found this amusing quote from E.B. White:

To foreigners, a Yankee is an American.
To Americans, a Yankee is a Northerner.
To Easterners, a Yankee is a New Englander.
To New Englanders, a Yankee is a Vermonter.
And in Vermont, a Yankee is somebody who eats pie for breakfast.


Well, now that that’s settled we can move on to Michigan. A friend of Sean’s sent this to us shortly after we moved. I didn’t get it then, but after living her a year I do now!

Jeff Foxworthy's Version of Michigan


If you consider it a sport to gather your food by drilling through 18 inches of ice and sitting there all day hoping that the food will swim by,you might live in Michigan.

If your local Dairy Queen is closed from November through March, you might live in Michigan.

If you have worn shorts and a coat at the same time, you might live inMichigan.

You know you're a true MICHIGANDER when...
1. "Vacation" means going up north on I-75.
2. You think owning a Honda is Un- American.
3. You know several people who have hit a deer more than once.
4. You often switch from "heat" to "A/C" in the same day.
5. You can drive 65 mph through 2 feet of snow during a raging blizzard without flinching.
6. You know what a Yooper is.
7. You know that UP is a place, not a direction.
8. You drink pop and bake with soda.
9. You design your kid's Halloween costume to fit over a snowsuit.
10. Driving is better in the winter because the potholes are filled with snow.
11. You know all 4 seasons: almost winter, winter, still winter and road construction.
12. You find 0 degrees "a little chilly."

I'm relating to #11 right now; all the roads are torn up and what used to be a 20 minute drive is now easily doubled. Ugh. But make no mistake; we do not drink pop (#8). We drink Coke. Always have, always will.

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous6:49 PM

    If you move up north, do you ever become a yankee?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not only no, but HELL NO!

    Thanks for commenting.
    Christy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous1:24 PM

    Glad to have helped cause such a ruckus! :-) And, btw, loved the Foxworthy stuff; actually, it applies to most of the midwest, I believe. (And yep, I'll secretly confess to reverting to "pop" when visiting the homeland.)

    /tina down south

    ReplyDelete

Hey! Thanks for commenting - I really appreciate it!