Friday, December 22, 2006

Christmas Eve Eve Eve

Sean thinks we’re going to leave for Georgia at 5 am tomorrow morning. Seeing as it’s now 9:38 and no one is in bed, I don’t see this happening.

My sister suggested I take a sleeping pill and sleep tonight in the front seat; that way, at 5, Sean can just start the car and we’re on our way. It’s starting to sound like a really good suggestion…

Our first stop will be Sean’s sister’s house. Our kids are very excited to stay with their cousins. I think we’ve only stayed there once before. We’ll go to church with them on Sunday, then caravan to my in-laws’, where we’ll celebrate Duffy Christmas.

I’m hopeful we can make it to the Christmas Eve service at our home church before going to my parents’, but I’m not sure that will happen.

My family has had a tradition of eating Christmas Eve dinner at Waffle House. It started many years ago when my Dad was still flying. He was working Christmas Eve, so Mom went to church with us. After the service we were all hungry and the only place open was, of course, the awful waffle. But we had so much fun we made it a yearly event.

Last year we filled up the Waffle House by church with my parents, my in-laws, my grandmother and my family. There were years my sister’s family joined us, too. It’s just a fun, easy way to have dinner the night before the big day. Doesn’t look like we’ll be able to fit it in this year, but next year I’m going to make sure we can do it. I need to plan ahead a bit better with my sister-in-law. I’m sure they’d enjoy the Waffle House Christmas Eve experience, too!

The kids are still not in bed, and Sean is still not packed. There’s nothing I can do to help at this point. Can’t bring out the stocking stuffers until Rebecca’s sound asleep, and I can’t start packing the car because Sean will just come behind me and rearrange everything. So I’m in a holding pattern.

I am not looking forward to that alarm clock ringing at 4:30. Ugh. Did I mention I’m not a morning person? All those years we didn’t have to travel to get to family… man, I really took that for granted.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey! Thanks for commenting - I really appreciate it!