Tuesday, April 10, 2007

What if it's true?

I’m not anxious to ascribe a demon to every problem, but after Saturday night I’m rather convinced Satan was doing his best to keep us from church Easter morning.

It started at 2 AM when I was awakened by Rebecca rubbing my cheek, saying, “My tummy hurts.” My first thought is go to the bathroom. I took her to the potty and she passed so much gas if a flame had been nearby I’m sure the house would have exploded.

That seemed to solve the problem, so by 2:20 she was back in bed. But not for long. At 3 she was by my side saying, “I’m going to throw up.” It is absolutely amazing how quickly I can get out of bed at 3 in the morning.

I raced her to the bathroom where she threw up. A lot. A stinky lot.

She felt better afterward and by 3:30 she was back in bed and went right to sleep. So did I, until I heard the bathroom door open around 5. It was Amy’s turn.

Amy has this habit of, once a month, throwing up between 5 and 6:30 on Sunday mornings. There’s no rhyme or reason to it and I haven’t found any common links the food she ate on those Saturday nights. She just throws up three times, goes back to sleep for an hour and wakes up all perky and ready to go. Very, very weird.

So that’s what she did this morning. I finally got back to bed around 6:20 and slept until 7:15 when I felt Rebecca rubbing my cheek, saying, “Good morning, Mommy!” No fever, no tummy ache, no real recollection of the events of the night before. So we decided to head on to church. We made it on time and we all went to the service together.

I do love Easter Sunday! It’s the whole reason for our faith; if Jesus hadn’t risen from the dead He’d be the same as Muhammad or Buddha or any other man who claimed to be God, but died, and stayed dead. Yes, it takes faith to believe something I haven’t seen with my own eyes. And yes, it sounds crazy when you stop to think about it. But I don’t see the entire world marking time by the birth of anyone but Jesus…

Each Sunday I think about my friends and family members who don’t know Jesus, but those folks are especially on my mind on Easter. And one of the songs that was sung moved me to tears as I thought of those I love who haven’t met Jesus yet.

One of my dearest friends believes Jesus lived but that He wasn’t anything more than a good man. I couldn’t help but think of her especially as this song was sung:

What if you're right,
And He was just another nice guy?
What if you're right?
What if it's true?
They say the cross will only make a fool of you
And what if it's true?

What if He takes his place in history,
With all the prophets and the kings,
Who taught us love and came in peace,
But then the story ends.
What then?

But what if you're wrong?
What if there's more?
What if there's hope you never dreamed of hoping for?

What if you jump?
And just close your eyes?
What if the arms that catch you, catch you by surprise?
What if He's more than enough?
What if it's love?

What if you dig
Way down deeper than your simple-minded friends.
What if you dig?
What if you find
A thousand more unanswered questions down inside.
That's all you find.

What if you pick apart the logic,
And begin to poke the holes.
What if the crown of thorns is no more
Than folklore that must be told and retold?

You've been running as fast as you can,
You've been looking for a place you can land for so long.
But what if you’re wrong?

What if you jump?
And just close your eyes?
What if the arms that catch you, catch you by surprise?
What if He's more than enough?
What if it's love?

What if He's more than enough? What if it's true? What if He really does love you? What if He really came for you first? (http://tinyurl.com/38bwwu)

I'm thankful I asked these questions, and especially thankful I found the answers. I hope my friend will start asking the questions. I know she'll be surprised by the answers.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey! Thanks for commenting - I really appreciate it!