Monday, November 19, 2007

Don't Want to Re-do that Week

I’m sitting in my parents’ living room. Monday Night Football has captivated Michael, Sean and my Dad. Amy and my Mom are visiting in another room. Rebecca’s already in bed. And I’m attempting to recover from my busiest week in recent memory.

Last Monday was the Thanksgiving Feast for Rebecca’s class. I remembered at the very last minute I was supposed to take a dessert, so I threw some brownies I’d made on Saturday for the youth group party on a paper plate and prayed no one would see me walk in with my paltry offering.

I was already feeling badly about the dessert; I hadn’t even thought about the costume I’d made for my little pilgrim. “Costume” is too strong a term; it was actually just a piece of computer paper cut to look like a pilgrim hat. I felt rather proud of myself for making it because I had to follow a diagram I found on the internet, and those of you who know me well know I cannot follow diagrams. I need words: Cut here first. Fold here next. Put your staple right there. Get a diet Coke, put your feet up and relax after all the pilgrim-hat making you just did.

When I arrived I immediately realized the students could easily be divided into two groups: the kids with moms who sew and the kids with sewing-impaired moms. Rebecca was among the second group. Holy cow, you should have seen some of those costumes! One mom had made, from fabric, pilgrim hats with beautifully creased brims and long ties; when tied in a bow under the chin the little girls looked just like they’d hopped off the Mayflower that morning. Another mom had sewn white felt onto the collar and cuffs of her son’s black shirt and made a great pilgrim hat; it was so authentic the boy could have been on his way to meet with the Indians right then.

When I finally found Rebecca she didn’t even have on the paper pilgrim hat I’d made for her – she had ditched it in favor of an Indian headdress that a friend let her borrow. I asked where her hat was because I had actually remembered the camera and I wanted a picture of my paper creation, albeit one I wasn’t quite as proud of anymore. She had zero interest in wearing it and asked to please take the picture with the other hat on. I can’t say I blamed her.

After the Feast I had to take Michael and Amy in opposite directions; thank goodness for Molly; she picked Rebecca up after school and kept her until Sean could get her after work. I was glad to see Monday come to an end.

Tuesday brought on ortho appointment for Michael and extra school work for everyone as we prepared to take Thanksgiving week off. Wednesday was insane, as was Thursday: we had parent/teacher conferences, an Egyptian Feast for Amy’s ancient history class (for which I had to make two rice casseroles and a fruit tray), I drove Michael to Detroit so he could fly home to go camping with a friend, and to top it all of I had a flat tire on the way to the Detroit airport.

Needless to say, I am very, very glad that week is over. But I had to get through it to get where I am right now: sitting in my parents’ house, preparing to celebrate Thanksgiving with our families. I think I’ll start by being thankful last week is over, and that this week is proving to be a wonderfully relaxing time with family and friends.

I wish the same for you.

Happy Thanksgiving Week!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey! Thanks for commenting - I really appreciate it!