Tuesday, May 13, 2008

I Heart Babywise

Our Babywise book study begins tomorrow and I’m so excited! We have eight moms-to-be coming and I am praying the information they learn will help their families. These are the notes I’ve written as I think about opening the study:

Children are precious gifts from God! As parents we are responsible to train them in the way they should go. And that’s where it gets tricky, because all God said was “train” them, not exactly how to train them.

As you all know there are a gazillion different parenting books out there, from Spock to Dobson to Sears. All the choices can be overwhelming for new parents. But God has given us good minds to collect information, discern, through prayer, what way He would have us to go, and to confidently parent the gracious gifts He’s given us.

I have a few years of parenting under my belt, and I have read a lot of the parenting books out there. I’ve come to the conclusions that Babywise has insights and helpful tools that have greatly assisted me in my parenting, and I’m excited to share these tools with you.

Please hear me say Babywise is one tool in my parenting belt. Even within the book there are suggestions I choose to use and others I ignore. It is not the only way to raise a newborn. But it is the way that has brought sanity and harmony to my home.

So even though I appreciate the approach laid out in Babywise I want to make sure you hear me say this: the only book we should religiously turn to for guidance on raising our little ones is the Bible.

With that attitude I sincerely hope our efforts are fruitful, and the new moms can enjoy their babies knowing they are capable of making the necessary decisions concerning the health and wellness of their little ones.

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous10:37 PM

    Amen! How awesome that you are doing a study with parents-to-be!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nicely put. Good luck with the class!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous9:30 AM

    I can't wait to hear how your group goes! Perhaps this will turn into a year-round ministry for you like our Moms & More group in Duluth?

    On a related note, I'm reading a great -- albeit LONG -- book called "what's going on in there" that talks about how babies' brains develop in utero and up to age 5. Fascinating stuff. God is incredible!

    /tina in ga

    ReplyDelete

Hey! Thanks for commenting - I really appreciate it!