Saturday, May 10, 2008

Mother's Day blues

Tomorrow is Mother’s Day. I know my little people have something up their sleeves (because Rebecca told me so) and I fully intend to ooh and ahh at the right moments. But I’m just not into Mother’s Day this year.

I was at Sam’s earlier today picking out a few things we needed for dinner and I saw an entire selection of Mother’s Day cakes. Then there was a huge assortment of flowering plants and cut bouquets with a display admonishing us: “Don’t forget Mom!” I saw women my age picking out cakes and flowers and I knew they would be visiting their moms tomorrow and I realized I was desperately sad that I wouldn’t be taking anything to my mom. Thankfully she’s still alive, but the 800 miles between us make it pretty tough for either of us to pop over for a spot of tea.

Sure, you can tell me there are moms and daughters all over the world who live miles and miles from each other; I know I’m not special in that regard. But that doesn’t bring me much comfort or make me less glum. I, for 15 years, lived in the same city as Mom. I got used to bumping into her at Target, seeing her at church and at least weekly either being at her house or having her at mine. I got used to having her around and I took that for granted. And now we’re 800 miles apart. I would give anything to be able go back to living in Atlanta so I could take her out to lunch for Mother’s Day.

Popular sayings are popular for a reason: because they’re true. And the one I’m thinking of right now is, “You don’t know what you’ve got until it’s gone.”

Happy Mother’s Day, Mom. I miss you.

1 comment:

  1. After this entry who better to comment than... "her mom"? The flowers and cakes you have often given. These published words are priceless!!! They bring warm tears streaming down my face tonight. And, a heart overflowing with gratitude for grace, forgiveness and unconditional love! I am honored and deeply grateful!!!... Mom
    PS For you young moms waiting for such delicious words...it is worth every moment!

    ReplyDelete

Hey! Thanks for commenting - I really appreciate it!