Monday, December 01, 2008

Well, it started snowing as we left church Sunday and hasn’t stopped. The kids and I shoveled the driveway Monday morning but I know we’ll have to be back at it Tuesday morning. We’ll just call it our P.E. for the day.

This will be our third full winter here and now that I realize we’re staying (yes, I know, a little slow on the uptake) I really need to get a snow jacket-coat thing. I was shoveling in my good black church coat because it’s the only warm one I have. I used to have a ski coat; my parents took us to Colorado to go skiing almost every winter from elementary school to junior high. I loved it. I loved skiing and I loved the hot chocolate afterwards. And I loved that I didn’t have to deal with the snow.

Okay, I actually didn’t realize that last love until three years ago but believe me, playing in the snow then getting to leave it is a good thing! (It's also a good thing when your parents are buying the snow coat. I just priced them on-line and they are not exactly cheap.)

I almost feel guilty complaining about the snow because the scene from my backdoor is just beautiful. A blanket of white covers everything. Evergreen boughs heavy with snow are mere steps from my porch. The weeds in our island are voided by the frozen stuff. Truly Christmas card material. And I do love looking at the snow. It’s the walking in it and shoveling it and getting wet because of it I am not fond of.

Speaking of getting wet… why don’t we carry umbrellas for the snow? It’s just frozen water. We carry umbrellas for rain so why not snow? In the time it took me to walk from my car to Meijer today my coat and hair were soaked. That could have been avoided if I’d only used an umbrella.

I may have to start a trend.

5 comments:

  1. Christy,

    When you get your snow jacket, you'll see that it has a hood......that is what we do. Throw that hood up over your head and you are good to go. :) And when it gets really cold, don't be afraid or embarrassed of the HAT!! It really DOES keep you warmer..my mom always said 75% of the warmth in your body escapes through your head. I thought she was kidding until a few years ago when I finally got a hat. Now I wear it shamelessly all the time!! ;)
    See you tonight,
    Traci H.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't stand hats. I suppose I need to get over that...

    That still doesn't explain the "no umbrella" thing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous8:07 AM

    I LOVE that idea! (I suffer from a genetic malformation that my children call..."insect-head". My body is large, but I have an abnormally small head that I try to compensate for with "Texas-style" BIG hair. Can you even imagine what I look like with a hat on? My kids put hats on me just for free entertainment. As for the style of said umbrella, I am envisioning a cute little furry number akin to the new Uggs I am seeing on everyone's feet (It just HAD to get back to shoes, didn't it)! Love you Christy! P.S. - You're such a southerner...SNOW COAT?! Too cute! I've always said ski jacket, so that just seems so... SOUTHERN! xoxoxo (We all need another family date night)! MG

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the happy winter scene! The evergreens are beautiful!

    I'll never forget my drippy wet hair after walking out in the snow in PA! Always ready to take care of me, Dad did offer me an umbrella at least!
    Jill

    ReplyDelete
  5. O, i miss those beautiful evergreens, too. Do yall see fireflies in summer? I grew up with firefly summers but they've disappeared down here, and when i visited a PA friend one summer and saw them all over the place in the evenings, i went "Ahhhh!"

    The worst thing for me in snow is wearing eyeglasses. Snow is just as bad as rain for obscuring my vision. The next worst was walking on slick walks, so if i ever lived up north again, i'd get these cleat thingies>!

    ReplyDelete

Hey! Thanks for commenting - I really appreciate it!