Friday, January 16, 2009

Rescue Mission

This morning we were out of orange juice (which happens with alarming regularity even though it seems I’m always buying gallons at a time) so I went to the garage where I keep the grape/cranberry/apple/whatever fruit juice is on sale. And this morning the cranapple juice was frozen.


I took it inside and we all got a good chuckle, laughing about how dadgum cold it must be to freeze the entire bottle of juice. I chopped up some of it and called it slushies. And then I went to get my juice, diet Coke, which I also keep outside, right next to the juices.


If you understand what happens when carbonated beverages freeze you know the scene that awaited me. It was if someone shot my beloved diet Cokes… it was not pretty. So what began as a beverage-getting mission became a rescue mission.

Of the 24 cans I was able to save 19, although a few were irreparably damaged. The five that gave their bubbles to teach me a lesson did not burst in vain; I’ve moved every liquid anything inside until this wicked cold spell leaves.



And we'll call that our science lesson for today.

9 comments:

  1. I just opened a can of Diet Coke and enjoyed a wonderful Diet Coke slushy. LOVE IT! None of mine burst however. I hope they don't, I really don't want to venture out to the garage to move it all inside. See, nothing this exciting happened to your Diet Coke in GA..........
    Traci Hall

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous5:19 PM

    ....Gave their bubbles....????!!!!! There are no words. This is why your blog is a must-read. The end.
    MG
    (Loved seeing your dad!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous10:50 PM

    Ooh, sorry, man. We should have warned you this would happen. All of our pop and beer has been sitting in the middle of the dining room floor the past 2 days to prevent that very thing...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Carissa - the warning would have been nice. But thinking of beer and Cokes in the middle of your dining room has brought a smile to my face so I'll overlook the fact that you withheld this vital information from me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad there were some you could savage... Cleaning up that mess would have needed a side of Diet Coke!! Hope you guys have a good weekend with Grandpa.
    Love, Jill

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous8:59 AM

    Dadgummit!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous9:01 AM

    (just amity, not amitym)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous4:50 PM

    imagine that coke explosion all over the inside of your car!!! It's like the fall out from Mount Vesuvious - the gray head liner of John's car is still speckled brown!!! hee hee

    ReplyDelete

Hey! Thanks for commenting - I really appreciate it!