Thursday, February 12, 2009

Preteens will be the death of me

As new parents Sean and I were constantly wondering how we would handle the next unknown. How would we handle having a crawler? A toddler? A pre-schooler? A – gasp! – teenager?!

My father-in-law, patient beyond measure, would calmly say, “God gave you years to learn how to take care of your baby. You didn’t give birth to a teenager so don’t worry about raising a teenager until you have one.”

Well, dear father-in-law, you know how you said in all that time I had before having a teenager I’d figure out how to handle one? Hey, Chuck, guess what? I have one now and I feel as clueless today as I did when I brought that precious new baby home from the hospital.

So what now?

6 comments:

  1. I married a man with 2 kids, 12 and 13 at the time. Oy. That plus all the family issues such a situation brings.

    We felt our way in the dark but we found they need a lot of space, within the obvious reasonable behavior expectations. It's such a disquieting, change-filled, hard time for them. There's a song from the musical Camelot : "How to Handle a Woman," which says "Simply love her." It works on teenagers too! JMO and all that! 8~)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree Christy. I have had such an emotionally draining week with preteen issues that I understand now how having teens can be more tiring than toddlers. With two preteens and a preschooler now, I should be ready for a month on a deserted island any day now. ;)
    Traci Hall

    ReplyDelete
  3. Traci - don't go to that island without me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nostalgic - the giving of space is good advice. So is the "simply love her" part. There are times I'm good at it; today, not so much.

    Thanks for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous9:02 AM

    Sounds like we need a support group! The rolling eyes, mumbled comments and constant reminders about how overprotective I am are beginning to wearing me down.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amy K. - I totally understand. *sigh*

    ReplyDelete

Hey! Thanks for commenting - I really appreciate it!