Friday, March 06, 2009

I'd forgotten what the sun felt like!

Let’s play a little game, a game I like to call, “Guess where I am?” Here’s your first clue:

Yes, a Chick-fil-A sandwich on my lap means I am not in Michigan. But no, I’m not in Atlanta. (Good guess, though.)


Here’s your second hint:


Yes, you’re right, that not much of a clue unless you know those are my cousins Amy and Ashley and Ashley’s daughter Hannah. Amy lives in Vancouver, Ashley in Charlotte, NC. But I’m not in Vancouver or Charlotte.


Last clue:



Yep, that’s right. I’m at the beach! Now, normally this would not be a fun thing for me since I 1) hate sand and 2) hate heat and 3) am terrified of sharks, but because I’m here with all the women in my family to surprise my mom and celebrate her 65th birthday I am thrilled to be here.


My aunt Sue started cooking up these plans a few months ago. She managed to get the eight of us from six different cities with insanely crazy schedules to set aside a weekend to show my mom how much she means to each of us. Mom is the oldest in her family and assumed the role of ultimate caretaker. She took care of her siblings when they were young and she has since, in a million different ways, continued to care for them and their children (and, of course, her own).


We’re going to spend the weekend chatting and watching movies and chatting and eating and chatting and walking on the beach and chatting… All eight of us haven’t been together for many, many years. It’s going to be a good, good weekend.


Big thanks to Sean for so willingly sending me on my way and so capably being the substitute teacher today. He is the best. The. Best.

5 comments:

  1. Have a great time!! What a special thing to do for your mom.
    Traci Hall.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Yeah! Hope your having a great weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous6:17 PM

    How jealous am I????? Sounds like a wonderful reason (not that I would need one) for the beach! Enjoy your family!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous11:43 AM

    WHICH beach??? "Never tease a weasel, not even once or twice, 'cause the weasel will not like it. . .and teasing isn't nice!"

    ReplyDelete
  5. How FUN!!! I know you'll have a wonderful time and make lots of memories. Hopefully some funny and/or heartwarming ones to blog about :-)

    ReplyDelete

Hey! Thanks for commenting - I really appreciate it!