Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Home from Home

Michael got back from Atlanta last night. I wasn’t sure he was going to make it since my mom called twice to see if his visit could be extended. She’s about as good at saying “Goodbye” as she is at saying “No” to the grandchildren.

Michael and Calvin had a swell time. Sean’s folks took them to a Gwinnett Braves game, slot car racing and to a car show. (Sean’s dad’s Corvette won the Fan Favorite award at the show!) My parents took them to an IMAX movie, Centennial Olympic Park and Mary Mac’s Tea Room, an Atlanta institution. (You want good Southern cooking you go to Mary Mac’s.) They got to see Sean’s sister Jill and her sweet family and visit with cousins. It was a good time.

I knew he’d have to go through a little grandma detox, but the transition home has been more difficult than I expected. All the visits and fun times with family peeled back the scab that covered the painful wound of our move.

After the move Rebecca rebounded most quickly. Michael was a close second. (We’re still waiting on Amy…) But something happened during this trip; it clicked for Michael that he is missing out on being around family.

When we lived in Atlanta Michael spent the night regularly with both sets of grandparents. He had them to himself for 2 ½ years – even longer, really, because Amy didn’t get into the spend-the-night-mix for another year. He had those grandparents wrapped around his little finger; they would do anything for him. And, obviously, still will. He has a special relationship with all four grands. This weekend it hit him hard that he misses the regular time he used to spend with them.

My immediate thought: Two of my children are dying inside; how do we move back?

My next thoughts: The plant is closed. No job. No food. Eating is important…

Obviously Sean is marketable and could get a job outside an assembly plant. But building cars for GM is not only what he loves but what he feels called to. Lansing is about the best place to do that. There are two plants that would put us closer (Kentucky and Tennessee) but at the moment GM’s not moving people around – don’t know if you’ve heard but they’re having a bit of a financial problem. Plus, the plant in Tennessee is slated to close this winter. Besides, moving closer doesn’t solve the problem; it only cuts down the drive time. We’re still not there.

As Michael was getting ready for bed tonight he said, “I wish I were eight. It was a lot easier back then.”

Oh, dear son. I so agree.

Rebecca couldn't wait for Michael to come home!
As soon as she saw him she ran and gave him a hug.

As Sean's dad says, "Home again jiggity pig." I have
no idea what it means but it gets said a lot at our house.

8 comments:

  1. Oh Christy, I can SO relate. BIG SIGH and BIG HUGS!!!
    Traci

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad he's back, and I can relate to his pain. But to clarify your dad's comments:

    To market, to market to buy a fat pig
    Home again, home again jiggety jig
    To market, to market to buy a fat hog
    Home again, home again jiggety jog

    (Yep, my head's chock full of all sorts of useless stuff!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Christy,

    I can relate to even though my little guy is only 2 1/2...he's a VERY smart and observant 2 1/2 year old. His heart breaks when Grandma & Grandpa leave or when when WE leave MI. He talks about them constantly and my heart breaks being away from them too. Pretty ironic that we LEFT MI to try & find something more stable than GM and moved to GA....leaving our family all in MI:-(

    I hope things get better all the way around and that some way your children's hearts will heal. We had to live our entire lives away from our grandparents who lived in GA (while we lived in MI) and it was painful at times all the way growing up, but it did get better the more we got involved with friends, etc....

    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dad just mixes things up sometimes for fun, and they stick! It's just a Dadism like, "Hot diggity dog, we're goin' to de moobies!" (Spelling errors to aid in pronunciation, of course!) :-)

    And Mom's "Good Deal!" with a thumbs up has joined the ranks of favorite sayings with my kids.

    We loved our visit! Michael has a great friend in Calvin. My kids are still blowing the tops off water bottles a la Calvin!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for all the kind comments.

    Traci, it's nice to know you know exactly how I feel. Glad you're getting the chance to visit with your family this week.

    Tina, there's no rhyme or reason to how sayings get stuck in my father-in-law's head! He is so funny.

    Cathy, thanks for the encouragement - I do hope it gets better.

    Jill, Michael had a great time. Thanks for taking the time to be with him and Calvin,

    ReplyDelete
  6. Chef Cookaloni5:48 PM

    Those look like they might be iPhone photos. You're so cool.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Like others who commented, I can relate. Ivan's family is scattered far and wide -- on his parents' 50th anniversary the whole family got together and it was the first time in 20 some years they managed that. As adults the kids are getting to know their cousins better and enjoying these new relationships. But I'm sad that it took so long for this to happen.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was just enjoying these pictures again... Racking my brain, trying to remember WHERE that carpet is where Rebecca was greeting Michael... DUH! Wrong airport in my head!

    I'm afraid your children have a loon for an aunt!

    ReplyDelete

Hey! Thanks for commenting - I really appreciate it!