Tuesday, July 14, 2009

All together again

Well, my week of leisure is over. Michael and Amy came home Saturday and we drove down to Georgia to reunite with Rebecca on Sunday. Our drive down was one of the worst I can remember. We lost an hour to traffic caused by several accidents on I-65 south of Louisville; they were the worst wrecks I’ve ever seen. One of them involved a tractor-trailer that had driven on top of a small compact; the car was so messed up even my two car guys couldn’t identify the make or model. We drove in rain for five solid hours. To say we were glad to arrive at my parents’ house safe and sound is a gross understatement.

This drive was our first with three drivers. Michael drove for two hours and his stretch involved taking us through Nashville. It was raining and there was a lot of traffic and he did great although he was completely stressed out by the time his shift was over.

With Michael claiming one of the front seats that left only one other front seat for two adults. I’ve always joked that when this day came I would make sure Sean was nice and comfy in the back seat. But when the actual day arrived I knew it was better for Sean to sit up there with Michael; it just seemed like a good father/son bonding time. But that meant I had to be in the back. The last time I rode in the back for any extended period of time my sister and I drew a line down the seat to mark of our “sides” and heaven help us if someone crossed the line of demarcation.

As I buckled in, Amy, my back seat buddy, got herself all situated and we hit the road. We watched the most recent Indiana Jones movie (which was absolutely absurd) and I got car sick. Note to self: do not do anything but look straight ahead when riding in the back seat. Do not watch movies. Do not check emails on iPhone. Do not lean to the right or to the left. Stay completely still, look straight ahead and remind Sean that next time he should enjoy the view of the passenger –side headrest.


We had a great first day in Georgia: we all slept in a bit, then visited with my parents for most of the day. It wasn’t too hot which I know was a sweet blessing from the Lord just for me. Plus, we had Chick-fil-A for lunch and JR’s bar-b-que for dinner. Can’t beat that with a stick.

While I did enjoy my Week with No Kids it is good to have all five of us together again. Tonight the kids played together like they haven’t in a long time. I guess absence really does make the heart grow fonder. I just hope the good vibes don’t wear off before we all get in the car for the long trip back.

4 comments:

  1. Wow-Ugh! What a trip... Sorry about the carsickness... Glad you're here! Can't wait to see you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry your trip was so bad:0( We had a miserable trip back down her from MI about a week ago.....Louisville must be "cursed".....our transmission broke down about 20 miles south of there and we were stranded in Shepherdsville for an extra day....to the tune of almost $1000!!! I'm glad you guys had a safe trip. How long will you be down here? Get ahold of me if you want to try & get together...I'd LOVE to see you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE the pic of you and Amy!! Miss you guys already. Have a wonderful time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am glad you got there safe and sound! I really don't think I could do the backseat and for sure NO MOVIES! I would be sick for sure.

    May you have lots of Chick-fil-A and a great week!

    ReplyDelete

Hey! Thanks for commenting - I really appreciate it!