Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Holy pickin' cow

This has been one heck of a day in my little corner of the blogosphere. Stared out with a really funny post about a comment made by a really funny guy. Unfortunately, someone involved in the comment didn't see the humor. So I deleted the offending comments, left hers, printed a clarification and thought the matter would be finished. Not so.

Realizing I couldn't please the displeased, I deleted both posts, including the comments.

In hindsight, however, I wish I'd left both, comments and all. Because the posts and comments were funny and truthful. And for crying out loud, when is enough enough? I apologized by personal email. I deleted the comments that could have been hurtful. I published a clarification.

To my faithful commenters - I appreciate you more than you can know. You are entertaining and educated and those of you who commented on the deleted posts stayed above the fray, even while pointing out some hard truths. Thank you so much.

To the displeased: Can you imagine the good press you'd have received if you'd handled my initial email with an, "Oh my word, I can't believe that happened! Here's the info: _____________ Thanks for bringing it to my attention! Oh, and by the way, while I like the color scheme, that Chef guy's a riot!"

A little humor goes a long way. Just ask the Astronomer guy.

5 comments:

  1. Oh Christy, how I do LOVE your blog! I am always amused by it and it brightens my day! I'm also looking forward to tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Megan, you have no idea how nice it is to read that tonight. Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you'd like to take a post down without deleting it - in case you want it back - just "edit" it then save it as a draft! It stays there, unseen by anyone but you, for as long as you like. I can tinker with one forever that way!

    And i admire both your blogging and your interesting, funny assortment of commenters. It's a GOOD blog that attracts a variety of POV's.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think your reference to the Astronomer guy is so right on! I got a huge kick out of that post and his response :-)

    I'm also reminded of last year when a blogger was upset with the changes in the Southern Living magazine and was not shy about sharing her thoughts with the blogging world. Rather than a hateful, hurtful response from SL, she received the nicest phone calls and communications. That blogger has since come around to liking the changes and, again, hasn't been shy about her feelings. SL has received some enormous free and positive publicity, in large part due to their positive reaction to the initial blog post.

    As we consider the difference in responses, we don't have to think long to know which kind is more appropriate and helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nostalgic - oh, wish I'd known that! Good to know for next time (but holy cow do I hope there's not a next time!). Thanks for the kind words. Remember - you're one of those interesting commenters!

    Kim - it's such a shame, isn't it? A massively wasted opportunity.

    ReplyDelete

Hey! Thanks for commenting - I really appreciate it!