Thursday, August 20, 2009

Prayers for the husband, please

I get really cross when my hair gets in my eyes. If it touches my eyebrows I get a headache. I’m trying to let it grow out which means I’m really, really cranky a whole lot of the time. So please pray for Sean, that he can take it until I finally decide I can’t take it anymore and chop it all off.

Oh, and he’s donating bone marrow next week, so could you pray for that, too?

He got on the bone marrow registry nine years ago when a guy at work needed a transplant. He wasn’t a match for that man but he stayed on the registry. About a month ago I got a call from a woman saying Sean was a potential match and could he please give her a call back?

I, by the way, did not know he was on the registry.

Long story short (sort of), he’s had several blood draws to determine how much of a match he is; after determining he’s the one he went to the hospital for a head to toe physical. EEG, EKG, chest x-ray, more blood work, full work-up (including a testicular exam which he was not expecting). He was given a clean bill of health and has been medically approved as a donor.

The donation process really kicks in this Saturday when he receives the first of five injections. The medicine stimulates bone marrow growth which is then pushed into the blood stream. I don’t understand how it all works, but this process means Sean will not have to undergo surgery to donate the marrow; it will be done via blood draws.

Please pray his side effects are minimal. The drug can cause bone pain and flu-like symptoms which can vary between slight to severe.

On Wednesday we’ll check into the hospital where he’ll spend two mornings hooked up to an apheresis machine. Blood from one arm will be taken to the machine, the stuff the patient needs will be separated, then the blood will return to Sean’s other arm. (I’m sure there is a much more technical description, but that’s how it makes sense to me.) The process can take between four and six hours each day.

Please pray for the recipient. He’s a 62 year old male. We aren’t allowed to know anything else, so I decided to call him Zeke. I just decided that right now – first it was going to be Ted but I think Zeke has more pizzazz.

Donors and recipients don’t meet until a year after the transplant, and then only if the recipient wants to. We can, though, write Zeke a letter and we’re excited to tell him about Jesus. Maybe this is how ol’ Zeke will meet the Lord – who knows? Heck, he may be a Christian already and Sean’s the answer to his prayers. But we want to make sure Zeke knows Sean can give this gracious gift because he has been shown grace, exceedingly, abundantly.

So, if you’re the praying sort I would certainly love your prayers for Zeke, Sean and our whole family. Thanks.

(And names of good hair stylists would be greatly appreciated!)

12 comments:

  1. praying. my dad had a bone marrow transplant 13 years ago and I've been on the registry ever since- I've always sort of hoped to get the call so I could pay it back. hope all goes smoothly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow -- that's cool. Will be praying for y'all and for Zeke. (btw, Zeke was our mailman when I was growing up. nice man deserving of Sean's gift.)

    And I'll e-mail you my new 'do that I'm getting next week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous8:56 AM

    I like your thoughts on the possiblity of opening Zeke's eyes to Jesus.

    I also have a great stylist in Okemos - Jamie Howard @ Mirabella (349-4700) - I've been going to her for years and trust her (that's big for me since some days my hair is all I have going for me). Amy K.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Char Carter Smith9:05 AM

    Way to go Sean! I've been on the registry for quite sometime but have not been called. I have a dear friend diagnosed with leukemia just 2 weeks ago so I am reminded of what an amazing gift you are giving. Thanks for being so being willing!!! I'll be praying.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Christine - I didn't know that about your dad. So glad to hear it was a successful experience. That's very encouraging!

    Tina - thanks for the hair pictures. I just wish bald would become a really fashionable look...

    Amy - I know for a fact your hair is only one of the many things you have going for you! But I've always thought it looked great, so I'm giving your girl a call!

    Char - we also have a recently diagnosed friend and we know we'd want to do this for her. How could anyone say no? Thanks for the prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  6. whoops I didn't word that very well- unfortunately it didn't save his life but the generosity of my aunt's gift to him has always stuck with me... BMTs are pretty risky but I believe they have come a long way since my dad had his, and he also had multiple myeloma which is a particularly nasty type of cancer.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Will definitely be praying for Sean to have light to NO side effects! I'm sure it's blessing Sean to be used of God in someone's life, especially as your friend Bonnie waits for someone to do the same for her.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh dear, Christine. So sorry I misunderstood.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have a good stylist here in Pocatello, but I'm pretty sure that's too far for you to come. ;-)

    I will be praying for Sean and for you. It's great that he has chosen to give this gift.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous8:50 AM

    I cant help you with the hair problem except to suggest bobby pins. My hair is in the same stage. As soon as my doorbell rings, the pins come out! On the other note, Sean is a hero. What a great gift with absolutely no reward for him. A terrific picture of Christ's love and grace given freely. I am so sure this family and his grandchildren and friends are so thankful for you all! Hope

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sean's a good man. We'll be praying for him here.
    Tell him to eat the jello. Hospitals always have jello.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anonymous10:13 PM

    Christy,
    Please tell Sean that I'm praying for him (and you also, as y'all go through this). I agree with the other comment that Sean's gift is a beautiful picture of what Christ offers us.
    Jane Adams

    ReplyDelete

Hey! Thanks for commenting - I really appreciate it!