Monday, September 07, 2009

Bon appétit!

I’ve been looking forward to seeing Julie & Julia for a while now. It’s based on the book by Julie Powell who set out to cook each recipe in Julia Childs’ Mastering the Art of French Cooking cookbook in 365 days. I heard about Powell’s book when it first came out and knew it had come from her blog; as a novice blogger I was more than a little excited to see how she went from anonymously typing away in her apartment to having the oh-so-adorable Amy Adams portray her on the big screen.

(I loved the scene when she and a co-worker high-fived when Powell had her first non-friend/non-relative comment on her blog. I totally get that!)

The movie was sweet. You could sense how much Powell adored Childs, and I thoroughly enjoyed learning about Julia Childs, played masterfully by Meryl Streep. She certainly seemed like a spitfire. I loved the relationship between Julia and her husband, Paul. They dearly loved each other. Hope that was true…

The movie inspired me to read the Julie/Julia blog, which began in August, 2002 and wrapped up two years later – Powell’s last post was the day after Childs’ death in 2004. I was also curious to find out what, exactly, Childs thought about Powell’s blog. (Spoiler alert) There’s a scene where Powell gets a call from a reporter who’s looking for a response to the news that Childs didn’t appreciate the blog. How in the world could Childs not have liked it? The movie made Powell out to be such a lovely person who respected Julia Childs and looked on her as a mother of sorts. I had to figure that out.

A few moments after my search located the blog I had my answer: Powell is nothing at all like the Amy Adams portrayal on the big screen. She is foul-mouthed, coarse and crude and if I were a famous cooking icon I wouldn’t want my name associated with that kind of talk, either.

Or her whining: “Why is it that I am such a **** nuisance? It’s like wherever I go, this magnetic field of cosmic inconvenience follows me, infecting anyone I come near." "I’m just so **** tired all the time."

Or her infantile political rants. I can barely bring myself to quote one, but I will so you’ll see what I mean: “…(Tom) Delay is the antichrist au currant. I don’t know what we can do, really, short of…assassinating the little bastard. Write the **** and give him a piece of your mind, I guess.”

Childs is portrayed in the movie as left of center; even so I can’t imagine she wanted her carefully crafted professional image to be associated with such drivel.

I tell my kids that books are always better than the movies made from them; in this case, the opposite is true. I’m going to remember the movie and try to forget anything I’ve read on that blog.

And Meryl Streep deserves an Oscar.

4 comments:

  1. I almost bought the book on vacation. Is the book in the bookstore straight from the blog?

    Thank you for the review... Maybe I'l actually get to the theater to see this one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jill - I don't know if the entire book is from the blog but I know that's what it's based on. Perhaps the book leaves out all the cussing?

    I can swear like a sailor but even I couldn't type those words then hit "publish" so all the world could see my inability to come up with something other than the F word to describe everything I didn't like or go my way.

    And her regular misuse of the Lord's name is beyond appalling.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't remember the book as being that foul. Some cursing yes, but not excessive. But maybe it's just that I've blocked that memory out :-) Anything is possible these days with my mind.

    I enjoy cooking/food memoirs and gotta say this book fell last on my list. Others are much better written and entertaining. But I liked the concept of cooking through JC's cookbook in one year.

    Too bad that someone can take such a great concept and do such a poor job with it. Glad the movie is good though. Hoping it's on DVD when Tina comes so she can bring it :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so glad you posted this. I was feeling the exact same way. I left the movie thinking, "How could Julia not love Julie?" I looked up her blog, but only read the last post right after Julia had died. I am glad that I didn't read any more.

    ReplyDelete

Hey! Thanks for commenting - I really appreciate it!