Thursday, September 03, 2009

Cooking with fire (on accident)

So week two of our sixth year homeschooling has been, shall we say, challenging. Our new curriculum is very intense and my two big kids are still unhappy we made the change. Rebecca, however, loves everything about school and cannot wait to start all her subjects and she’s really been ticking off her siblings with her school enthusiasm. To be fair, Michael’s trying to have a good attitude. Amy, well... As we say in the South, bless her heart!

Since I knew the week was a bit rough for the kids and for Sean I thought I’d make a cheesecake. All four were gone Wednesday evening so I planned to have it ready when they returned.

My cheesecake recipe calls for an oven temp of 325◦. You bake it for an hour then turn off the oven and let it sit in the hot oven for another hour. There were no problems as I baked the cake. I pulled it out of the oven and set it on a cooling rack to, well, cool. I then set the oven to 400◦ to cook my dinner.

Apparently 400◦ is just the right temperature to catch oven drippings on fire.

When the oven dinged to tell me it had reached 400◦ I pulled open the door and smoke billowed out. I don’t mean just a little. I mean a lot. A whole lot.

I turned on the exhaust fan, opened the windows and doors and waited for the smoke alarm to go off. As I fanned frantically, practically willing the smoke to go out the kitchen door I began to wonder why the alarms weren’t sounding. Honey, there was a lot of smoke in my kitchen. I could see it floating in the air around our kitchen table and on into the family room, so why wasn’t the smoke detector detecting anything?

So in addition to worrying I was burning the house down (again) I was now concerned that if this happened when I wasn’t around I’d never know we had a fire because the four smoke detectors we have on our first level apparently only alarm if flames the size of California’s wild fires take hold.

Needless to say I did not get my dinner so I had two handfuls of Milk Duds. Okay, three. Fine, four. And a diet Coke. But at least my cheesecake, baked with so much love for my hard-working family turned out well.

Until I dropped it.

It didn’t fall on the floor and I managed to catch most of it. Michael and Amy both said it was still good, if a little discombobulated.

Even though it’s only day nine of our school year I told everyone to sleep in because Mrs. Teacher here intends to. And she most certainly does not intend to use the oven for a while.



I was taking it out of the springform pan and it springed a little more quickly than I anticipated. Half the cake got shaved off by the handle on the oven.



Here's the cake with half of it on top of the other half.



And here's the masterpiece after I tried to smush the broken half back into place. Appetizing, don't you think?

13 comments:

  1. Oh, Christy -- I'm glad you saw the funny side of it!

    okay, truth: how LONG did it take you to see the funny side? Because I think I'd STILL be cryin' at this point in time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Soooo loved the story...and I ALWAYS have trouble with smoke detectors. But I have to say...the Milk Duds and Diet Coke sounded just like ME!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. :( So sad for you, but glad you're able to laugh about it now!

    Give M and A a couple more weeks to adjust. Ben is, hopefully, getting the hang of his challenging English class now. He did great on his most recent project, and maybe, just maybe, he studied enough for today's vocab quiz!!

    So glad R is enjoying her schoolwork!

    Hang in there, Mom of 3 of my favorite children!

    ReplyDelete
  4. BTW - I've never even TRIED to bake a real cheesecake!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Catherine - I was in shock when it first happened. Michael and Amy were standing there, too, so we all started laughing. And honestly, thanks to this blog one of my first thoughts was, "I have a great story for tonight!" M/A wanted to help clean up right away but I made them wait until I got some pictures!

    Irene - now I know what to bring to practice! Milk Duds and diet Coke!

    Jill - so glad Ben's doing better. We knew he'd get the hang of it thanks to the excellent training he received. :-) Tell three of my favorite kids hello from one of their favorite aunts!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Christy, what a few weeks it has been for you! That made me laugh out loud and I'm also glad you were able to laugh! I've NEVER even attempted to make a cheesecake, I'm impressed . . . even though you dropped it :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Meg and Jill - cheesecakes are pretty easy if you have the right pan. (My Mom gave me a great pan which has made the experience so much better.) As long as you remember to set the pan down BEFORE you unlock the spring everything works well. Lesson learned.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A. There is no such thing as an unattractive cheesecake. But like Cath, i'd be a wreck for a lot longer after this event.

    B. I hadn't realized that the once-a-week group thing was the foundation of your whole curriculum - it sounded like just a weekly thing. I took Latin, but voluntarily, and it was a real brain-contortion thing but very good for me and my GRE score! If you felt like blogging about this curriculum, i'd find it interesting. No particular reason - education plans and ideas just interest me, and especially things that emphasize classics!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It looks like it was a beautiful cheesecake before you dropped it! I'm glad to know that other people have days like this, because so do I. And it only took us 3 days to have people sleep in.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey Amity - I actually slept in past 8:30 this morning. And would have slept longer if Rebecca hadn't come to check on me.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Cheesecake is cheesecake, no matter the form :-) YUM! Pour blueberry sauce over and you'll never even notice.

    [One time some Amish friends gave Ivan and his crew a pie which he managed to dump upside-down in the mud. Never saw so many sad faces! LOL]

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anonymous9:25 PM

    Ha! I have a picture on my counter of a failed pie attempt - just to warn people.

    Amy K.

    ReplyDelete

Hey! Thanks for commenting - I really appreciate it!