Thursday, October 29, 2009

Don't check that off

When we make the trek South I always send a day-by-day plan of what we’ll be doing, when and where. Visit my grandmother: check. Visit some girlfriends: check. Visit my folks and Sean’s: check and check. Visit a Gwinnett County policeman after a fender bender on Sugarloaf Parkway: check. But that one was most definitely not on my list.

I was heading over to Sean’s parents’ in my Mom’s car. It was raining, and had been all day. I was stopped at a red light, minding my own business, listening to my favorite Atlanta radio station, enjoying a drink from Chick-fil-A when I heard a crunch of metal. My car lurched forward and in that split second I thought, “For crying out loud, what is going on?!” When I looked in my rearview mirror the guy behind me was a lot closer than he’d been mere moments ago. A policeman in the next lane over and saw the whole thing and he directed us to a parking lot where he took our insurance and personal info.

Neither of us was hurt, thankfully. Well, not physically. The poor kid, who was about 18, was in his father’s Mustang. It was nearly new and he was absolutely distraught. I felt terribly for him. The impact cracked the front bumper and there was no way it would go unnoticed.

All I could think was, “If this were Michael, he’d be an absolute wreck.”

I did my best to make sure the young man knew everything on my end was okay. My Mom’s car didn’t suffer any damage and he was thankful about that. We were both thankful no one was hurt. And, again, thankfully, the policeman was as kind as he could be under the circumstances; he actually seemed concerned for the kid’s well-being, too.

Tomorrow we get back to the list – visit Sean’s sister’s family, watch one nephew play soccer, watch another march with his high school marching band. I hope yesterday’s little fender bender is the last deviation from my schedule on this visit.

8 comments:

  1. Denise7:14 AM

    Wish there was more time to put a check by a visit to Newnan. Hope you had a great time in Hot Lanta.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It has been QUITE the vaca for you. Enjoy the rest of your time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, that first accident is always so traumatic! Hopefully the kid's dad didn't totally freak out when he saw his Mustang. Glad y'all were okay!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amity9:59 AM

    It sounds like you guys are having a lot of fun, fender bender in mom's car aside. I had one last week, must be the weather.
    Enjoy Atlanta!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wouldnt be as memorable a trip home without the deviation from your plan? :-) Glad for the boy that you were the ones he hit. It could have been much worse for him if they had hit someone else. You were his "angel" :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. See. . . I *knew* you should've stayed longer! ;-) Glad everyone's OK, and hope that boy's not grounded for too long.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Denise - I would love to check off some catch-up time for us! Next time we come down I'll give you a call.

    Traci - yes, it has been quite the week!

    Kim - I hope the dad was okay, too, but from the look on the boy's face I'm pretty sure it was a long ride back home.

    Amity - so sorry you had a fender bender, too!

    blessed - glad our plans didn't get changed, though!

    Tina - you are so, SO right! Should have stayed longer!

    ReplyDelete

Hey! Thanks for commenting - I really appreciate it!