Thursday, December 10, 2009

Christmas movies and songs and musicals, oh my

Some folks don’t consider December complete without a viewing of It’s a Wonderful Life, A Christmas Carol, Miracle on 34th Street, or even Home Alone. I am not one of those people. Of those movies I’ve only seen a student production of A Christmas Carol; I’ve seen bits and pieces of the others but I’ve never watched them through.

Along those lines, it appears I am the only person who didn’t know the song White Christmas is from a movie of the same name. Well, not only is it a movie it’s now a Broadway show. A Broadway musical. And the touring company for that musical made its way to Lansing this week. And last night, I saw it.

A friend invited me to go. I really like this friend. Really. A whole lot. Which explains why I spent my one night a week without kids at a musical.

If you’ll recall, I’m no fan of the musical. However, just because I don’t enjoy the genre doesn’t mean I can’t appreciate the skill and craftsmanship and talent of the cast and crew. The sets were flat-out amazing. The costumes were fabulous. The singing was excellent. But the reason to buy the ticket is to see the dancing. I’ve never seen so much tap dancing in all my life. It was fun and beautiful and masterfully performed. Made me want to pick up where I left of in 1977 and take a few lessons again.

(Oh, I had to take a break from typing to stop laughing. I can just see me taking tap lessons!)

I was surprised I knew so many of the songs. Obviously White Christmas is a classic, but I didn’t know Blue Skies or Count your Blessings instead of Sheep was from that movie, or any movie. (The only reason I know the Blessings/Sheep song is because Amy Grant put it on last year’s Christmas EP.) There’s also a song about sisters that I’m sure I’ve heard somewhere before. The song about snow made me laugh: “Snow, I long to clear a path and lift a spade of snow…” Sung by someone who hadn’t just done that twelve hours earlier.

Even with all its charms, it didn’t take over Wicked’s spot on the list of, “Only Musical Christy Likes.” Still, when you haven’t had a chance to hang out with a good friend in a while, going to a musical is worth it. Especially when she shows you how to use the nifty little locked coat racks in the lobby.




Hey, Heather, how come we never danced around with feather fans proclaiming our devotion to one another?

5 comments:

  1. Would love to see White Christmas as a show! Maybe one day it will come to Salt Lake City.

    The movie is one of my holiday favorites -- mostly for the dancing but also for Rosemary Clooney's peerless singing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You might have seen "Sisters" performed on Mad About You years ago -- Jamie (Helen Hunt) and Lisa (actress whose name escapes me) did it once for some reason.

    But what in the world is a locked coat rack???

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just to reveal my age - the first time i ever heard "Sisters" was when the 3 girls did it on an episode of Petticoat Junction. Augh! 8~)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness, Tina would have LOVED seeing that show! White Christmas is her absolute favorite holiday movie. I'm pretty sure she has it on DVD :-) Glad you had a fun night without the kids, even if you did spend it at a musical!

    ReplyDelete
  5. hahaha Amy Grant :)
    Christie and Mom saw that - I was SO jealous. I had to work.

    I also am not a big Christmas movie genre fan - my mom is obsessed with anything she can tape that's Christmasy on the DVR... ugh. :)

    ReplyDelete

Hey! Thanks for commenting - I really appreciate it!