Thursday, January 21, 2010

Now that's a great line!

We moved to Michigan at the end of April, which I now realize was wonderfully providential because the end of April is when Michiganders venture outside after being holed up during the winter months. And one of our across-the-street neighbors we met turned out to have a daughter Amy’s age, a son a few years younger and a mom I knew I wanted to get to know. Over the past four years the kids have gotten together and we’ve had occasion to chat here and there (she’s been a kind encourager about my blog) but we never managed to get our schedules to sync to allow for a dinner out with our husbands.

We renewed our attempts to schedule a double-date six months ago but school starting and Thanksgiving and Christmas and New Year’s got in the way. But when I flipped my calendar over to January 2010 I saw little squares with nothing on them. I emailed A., gave her several dates and we actually found a Saturday night that was free for both of us. I hurriedly marked the date and looked forward to an enjoyable night with our neighbors.

I was not disappointed. They are a fun couple, and we had a great dinner and better conversation. But I knew I’d found a true friend when I heard A. say, in response to a math-related question, “I’m a people person."

Brilliant!

Why had I not thought of that line before?! In those four little words she said, “I’m more interested in people than numbers and I have no need to do math in my head that could very easily done on a calculator, ideally by someone else.”

I am so stealing that line.

(And A., I hope it doesn't take another six months before we get together again!)



3 comments:

  1. Loved the line and the comic! (I work with mathematicians, and my husband is a math teacher -- but I am so not one of them!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Too funny!

    Mari at My Little Corner of the World had a great tip on Works for me Wednesdays this week. She rounds all her bills up so the number is even and her checkbook is easier to balance (the extra she pays just gets credited to her account for the next time around). I love this idea! She explains it better than I can:
    http://marislittlecorner.blogspot.com/2010/01/works-for-me-wednesday_19.html

    Just sharin' the math love :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous8:11 PM

    The one time I get behind on the blog updates and I miss my big entrance! I like how you disguised me by using the "A." - sounds so mysterious!
    We enjoyed dinner too...feel like I talked your ear off, next time it's your turn to talk mine off :)

    Amy

    ReplyDelete

Hey! Thanks for commenting - I really appreciate it!