Wednesday, February 03, 2010

Early spring? Yeah, right.

Yesterday Punxsutawney Phil saw his shadow and declared a longer winter was upon us. General Beauregard Lee, Georgia's own groundhog, said, "I don't think so, Phil. No shadow here."

I prefer the hopefulness of General Lee's prediction. But the truth is it just doesn't matter. Six weeks from now puts us at March 16. I've lived in Michigan long enough to know that Old Man Winter hasn't even gotten out his suitcases by March 16. Maybe by April 16, but I don't get excited about spring until May.

So General Lee, I hope your prediction is correct for my Southern friends. I hope they're seeing azaleas and dogwoods and daffodils very soon. As for me, well, I'll be hauling out Big Red this afternoon to clear off the driveway. I may run the blower over the grass just to get a glimpse of something not white.


4 comments:

  1. We're in the same boat here in Idaho -- it could happen, but it would be mighty unusual for winter to be all over by mid-March.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amity2:26 PM

    Come on, white is very beautiful too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Catherine - I shouldn't complain about Michigan; you definitely have it colder longer.

    Amity - white is very beautiful when the white is a fluffy cloud in a sunny, blue sky! (I really shouldn't complain because we've had a very mild winter!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Adam's been running around all week saying "Punxsutawney" over and over. I have to admit, it's very fun to say (if not spell)! And my flowers definitely think it's spring -- I discovered little tulips and hyacinths poking their heads up just the other day, and my hydrangea has buds on it. Fools, though, I hope they don't freeze off!

    ReplyDelete

Hey! Thanks for commenting - I really appreciate it!