Thursday, February 25, 2010

Not sure about this...

There’s a young mom at my church who seems so fun. I’ve enjoyed getting to know her at the Wednesday morning book study, I love having her cute son in the toddler room on Sunday mornings, and I am wild about her sweater collection. I’d really wanted to get to know her better, but after her most recent Facebook post I think the family dinner I’d hoped we’d share is history. And to think she’s a deaconess.

What could she have done to cause such upset? She posted a crazy invitation for people to join her in running a 10K. She said she decided to commemorate her 30th birthday with a 10k race and she thought it would be fun for her friends to run it, too, to celebrate her birthday.

In a great moment of weakness I emailed her to say I was interested. I’d had the same goal when I turned 30 but never actually ran a race. I’d thought about it for my 35th but didn’t do anything more than think about it. And since my 40th is coming up in April I thought I should give it a try. After all, Rebecca turned 10 this week so my, “I’m still trying to lose the baby weight,” excuse is just plain ridiculous. And has been for, oh, nine years.

As soon as I clicked, “Send,” the gravity of the situation hit me. I have no business running to my mailbox, much less running a 10K. But it was too late; the cat was out of the bag. Before I even had time to formulate an excuse to get out of it, my friend emailed back saying, “I think you really need to do this,” and, “I really want you to run this 10K.” And she sent a link to the training schedule.

Dangity dang dang dang.

I downloaded the training schedule. Day one: Two mile run at an easy pace. That was day one! I was hoping for something more like, “Walk from your bedroom to the kitchen, pour yourself a diet Coke and call it a day.” Or at least, “Walk for 20 minutes.” Two miles to start seemed crazy and completely undoable for this very out-of-shape body.

But something about it intrigued me. I’m tired of knowing I’ve wanted to do something but haven’t made the sacrifices necessary to reach the goal. And lots of other friends from church signed up to run the race, so I decided I’d give it a go.

In another moment of what can only be described as an out-of-body experience, I joined the YMCA. For the past two days I have found myself on a treadmill, huffing and puffing in an attempt to get this pathetic body in some semblance of shape so it doesn’t drop dead when I actually run the race. Well, I’ll probably walk the majority of the thing if the past two days’ work out is any indication. And I don’t think I can make the full 10K; I’ll be pleased to finish the 5K. Heck, I’ll be ecstatic if I finish the 5K. I’m fairly certain I need more than two months to get ready for anything more than 3 miles. The 6.2 will have to wait.

But dinner with my soon-to-be 30 year old friend and her family doesn’t have to wait, now that she's won me over. Besides, we have training to discuss. And she really needs to spill the beans on where she gets her sweaters.

12 comments:

  1. Good luck! At the very least, it will be blog fodder for months to come. At its best, you'll be in better health and have found a new activity! (And a new friend!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Catherine - I did think about it being good blog material! Hopefully I'll be able to do it. Thanks for the encouragement.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You absolutely will be able to do it! And now that you've blogged about it, you are committed. I found a great book at the library I thought you would enjoy-the "non-runners marathon guide for women". Very funny-I think you will like her sense of humor.

    If you can, sign up for a 5k a month ahead. You can walk the whole thing, and it will give you an idea of what it will be like.

    I ran my first 5k when I was in college. I lined up next to a "old mommy type" woman with a baby in a jog stroller and thought I would a least finish ahead of her. I have since learned, people at races with jog strollers are totally serious and you will not see them again once they start the race. Same with much older people-they might look old, but they have been training for years and sprint out of the start never to be seen again!

    Dont worry or even keep track of your time, just set a course and be consistent about it. Every one gets the same t-shirt at the finish line!

    I can't wait to read about this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tracey - this is so encouraging! And you're right: now that I've blogged about it I'm committed. I may need to be committed at the end of this! I need to check out that book - thanks for the suggestions. Have you ever run the Peachtree? That's one I've always wanted to run but have been way to chicken to try.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have run (walked) the Peachtree a few times. It is more like a parade than a race. People line both sides of the street and cheer you on for almost the entire race. A lot of people walk the entire thing.

    You really can do a 10k. You actually probably could go out and do it today, you just wouldn't feel so good tomorrow! Most years when I did the Peachtree I had not done a training run of more than 3 miles prior to the race. I am slow as molasses, but I finish!

    Load up your ipod with motivating music, or better yet find a friend to walk with. It makes the time enjoyable. Buy good shoes and stock up on advil!

    ReplyDelete
  6. "As soon as I clicked, 'Send,' the gravity of the situation hit me."
    hahaha.

    GOOOO MRS. DUFFY!!! You can do it!!

    I can't wait to read the blog posts about it! :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. YOU.GO.GIRL. YOU CAN DO IT!! And I'll be cheering you on all the way. tee hee. Hey, take your phone and I'll text you encouragement along the way. :) I am glad I ran cross country and track in High School and got that all out of my system. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous6:42 PM

    I JUST joined the YMCA on Saturday - Who knew! I'm doing the "Cindy Edwards" 4 miles a day walk / run program with high hopes for... I don't know what. Maybe my breath to return...?! I'm so tickled for you - Not only will you be buff, but you'll have beautiful sweaters! <3 MG

    ReplyDelete
  9. Stephanie, Traci and MG - thanks for your encouragement! You should come do it with me, because, as we all know, misery loves company!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Go, Christy, GO!!! I am here to cheer you on!!!!! If you can wake up and make breakfast for your hubby for years at 5am then you can do anything. hope

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hope - you Cathy and Carolyn are my inspirations! If I can do this then maybe I can run one with y'all. Maybe. I know how fast you are!

    ReplyDelete

Hey! Thanks for commenting - I really appreciate it!