Wednesday, April 28, 2010

The big 2 - 8

Me: “Good morning, Michael!”

Michael: “So how do you feel on your last day of your 30’s?”

And that’s how today started. There are so many things they don’t tell you (or you don’t believe) when you’re pregnant…

Yes, indeed, today is the last day I’ll be 30-something. Tomorrow, Lord willing, is the first day of my fifith decade, a fact that really doesn’t bother me too much.  We'll see how I feel tomorrow, of course.  What does bother me is how I’ll be spending my day: math class. Ugh. Thursday’s our regular math day and this week’s no different.

(FYI: we do math every day – Thursday’s the day our tutor comes. I can just hear it now: “Christy only has her kids doing math one day a week!” Ah, that would be lovely, wouldn’t it? But Sean does have some say in our homeschooling adventure and he says we have to do math every day. Darn engineer.)

As much as I dislike numbers I must say my friend Mike made some crazy math come through for me yesterday. Apparently there’s a way you can count that uses numbers and letters (because that makes sense) and counting this way makes me only 28. Here’s what Mike said:
Most of the world uses the decimal system for numbers, but it can make more sense to use a different base system... e.g. computers use base 2 or binary, which would make me 10101 years old!  About as interesting as math can get, right? Well, since you're not a huge fan of what happens on Thursday, you could use a different base system like, say, hexadecimal. Which would mean you're only a couple more days from being the big 2-8...
That Mike is a good friend. He’s also way too smart for me.

Here’s to creative math and going back in time!

5 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday!! I spent my 40th birthday trying on bathing suits. I don't know what I was thinking. No one should try on bathing suits on their 40th. Instead -- have a great day and make Sean spoil you somehow.

    Hugs,
    Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have a great birthday!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Catherine! Bathing suits on your birthday? Are you kidding?! I can promise you I will NOT be trying on bathing suits tomorrow. Or anytime soon for that matter.

    MHWT - thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. NftP - thanks! Forty feels just fine.

    ReplyDelete

Hey! Thanks for commenting - I really appreciate it!