Monday, June 14, 2010

Slurpees, movies, swimming, more Slurpees...

My niece, Megan, arrived last Thursday! Yay!

Here's Rebecca waiting patiently for Megan to get off the plane:


Here's Rebecca waiting not quite as patiently for Megan to get off the plane:


Megan finally arrives and I have some happy girls on my hands:

Megan and her family feel about 7-11 and Slurpees the same way I feel about Chick-fil-A.  So as soon as we got her bags our first stop was a 7-11:


And the next day we made another Slurpee run:

Sean, Rebecca and I took Megan to the botanical gardens on MSU's campus.  It was a beautiful evening.

Watching the frogs:


Deciding which plants to look at next.  They actually grow kudzu.  Who in their right mind grows kudzu?


My sister doesn't eat red meat or bacon, therefore her family doesn't eat red meat or bacon. We decided to fix that right up.  Bacon!  The candy of meat!


And for some more artery-hardening fun, we took Megan to our favorite Lansing pizza place.  So good!

We also went to Hawk Island Park.  I cannot believe we've lived here five years and never gone there.  What  a great park!  It was a little overcast when we went, so Sean and I didn't suit up.  The kids, though, were ready to swim.  They were the correct ones, because when we got there the sky opened up, the clouds disappeared and the sun shone down and thrilled the sun bathers and swimmers.  And I was woefully unprepared:


I now have a lovely farmer's tan - and that's a picture I took this morning.  It was much more lobster-like yesterday.  And you should see the line my capri pants made.

We've also spent a good deal of time watching Anne of Green Gables.  Did you know there are three Anne movies?  And did you know the total viewing time of all three movies is over eight hours?  I think we're going to manage to get the third one finished tonight.  Megan has definitely drunk the Avonlea Kool-Aid; we've created an Anne lover, that's for sure.

I have one more full day with my sweet niece; I intend to make the most of it!

12 comments:

  1. I feel like such a non-purist and almost heretical to the books... but I love the 3rd Anne movie!!! :) lol...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love hearing of the adventures and seeing the pictures! Looks like super memories for all!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really dislike the third movie! I was unhappy with what they did with Anne. Is it just me, or did she sound like she smoked?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nanny - we're having fun! You have super grandkids...

    Elisheva and Libby - oh, boy. Let the "Anne's Third Movie" debate begin! I'm just waiting for Christine to weigh in... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bonnie Opper10:21 AM

    Summer fun is always Great! We think they ruined the series with the last one too. But of course we watched it all. Cassandra even got an Anne doll from Prince Edwards Island. Wow.. It's collecting dust in the basement now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like you guys are having a great time! =]

    Well, if you're going to create an "Anne lover," I think it's important to view all of the movies... but, I agree with Libby and Mrs. Opper. Not only did the last one not follow any truth from the books, but Anne did sound a lot like a smoker. Tragic.
    I'm really interested in hearing your take on the movie, Mrs. Duffy...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Chef Cookaloni1:20 PM

    There are a lot of kindred spirits reading your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous4:13 PM

    Mrs. Duffy,
    It's been a while since I read your blog, but I forgot how much I love reading your posts!

    By the way, I think the reason Anne sounded weird (which I noticed too) was because the third movie was made 13 years after the second. That might change her voice a little bit.... =)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Bonnie - you're so right; summer fun is the best. And regardless of Amy's purist leanings, we've watched them all, too, several times.

    Christine - I'm embarrassed to tell you I never read the books. With that admission, I can say I love the first and second movies. I'm not a huge fan of the third simply because it seems too unbelievable. Hope we can still be friends despite my lack of proper Anne upbringing!

    Chef - kindred spirits indeed. How many times have you read Anne?!

    McKenna Kate - so glad to have you back reading (and thanks for the kind words). I agree about her voice - our voices do change with age.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That sounds like an awesome visit...can I come for one too??? Yum Slurpees and Anne of GG!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Boy -will we have some deprogramming to do when Megan gets home! I wish she could bring a Slurpee home with her. And, just so you know -my family does eat bacon and red meat. It just usually happens when I'm at work!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Don't your kids get embarrassed when you take a group picture in 7-11? They all look so happy.

    ReplyDelete

Hey! Thanks for commenting - I really appreciate it!