Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Spelling Southern

The good Chef sent me a text last night, telling me that John Grisham and I spell “y’all” differently.  The Chef is reading Grisham’s new book The Confession, and ran across this spelling of the contraction you all:


Y’all, I am shocked.  John Grisham is a good Southern man.  How could he let this happen? 

Y’all is a contraction of you and all.  The apostrophe goes where the letter is dropped, like wouldn’t, he’ll, she’ll, it’s.  (Didn’t know you were getting a grammar lesson today, did you?)

See what happens when you look up (the incorrect) ya’ll on Word:


Even the dictionary in Word knows how to spell it.  As does the spell check in Safari, because as I typed in ya'll, it indicated it was incorrect:


Wikipedia gets it right:



Wikipedia even has this picture to illustrate the definition:

We pass this sign when we go down to Georgia on I-75.  It's an indication we're getting close to Chick-fil-A. 

I have to believe this a result of some editor in New York City thinking he was righting a grammatical wrong.  But I do hope someone will change it in the next printing, because goodness knows Mr. Grisham’s books sell a few copies.  And his Southern readers won't look kindly on our dear word being misspelled.




5 comments:

  1. We spell it y'all in Texas... I think your hypothesis about the NYC editor is probably correct.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Margaret Mitchell would agree with
    y'all!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hilarious!!!! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. we've driven by that Florence y'all tower more times than I'd like to count! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. JudgeJudy - Glad you agree with my hypothesis. That has to be it!

    Nanny - Margaret Mitchell most definitely would!

    MHWTV - thanks!

    bensmom - you know I know what you mean. Dang, that's a long haul.

    ReplyDelete

Hey! Thanks for commenting - I really appreciate it!