Monday, February 07, 2011

Stay for Awhile

There is a reason my daughter Amy is named Amy.  It’s because I loved Amy Grant from the time I was nine years old until two years ago when I had a little run-in with her manager on my blog.  I said some things she didn’t like, a few commenters said some things she didn’t like, she said some things I didn’t like, and the whole exchange left a bad taste in my mouth.  I couldn’t listen to AG without remembering the dust-up between me and her manager; the whole thing destroyed the joy I took in Amy Grant’s music.  That Christmas marked the first time since 1983 that I didn’t break out the all-time best Christmas album ever, AG’s The Christmas Album

But this December, after going nearly 18 months without regularly listening to her music, I re-checked her Christmas music on iTunes and from the moment the first notes of Emmanuel hit my ears, I remembered how much this music meant to me.  It had nothing to do with her manager.  It had everything to do with the lyrics and the music and the voice.  And I decided I wasn’t going to let what happened between me and her manager rob me of the enjoyment I have always taken from listening to her music.


Good thing, too, because shortly after that revelation, I heard that Amy Grant was going to be in concert in Holland (Holland, Michigan, for all my Georgia friends).  And not only would Amy Grant be there, but Michael W. Smith would be there.  It was called the 2 Friends Tour.  And I heard they were doing lots of old stuff, like the concerts I’d gone to as a teenager.  And I decided I’d found my Christmas present.

I bought the tickets (the second tier price – which showed great personal growth, I might add) and have secretly looked forward to the show for two months.  I haven’t told my friends I’m going.  I haven’t told my family I’m going.  I barely mentioned it to Sean.  I was desperately trying to keep this from becoming a Big Deal, which is what usually happens when I get AG tickets.  And I was doing a mighty fine job until I got an email from Kim, the one friend who knew I had tickets.  She emailed me the set list for the show, which she got from MWS’s fan page.  Where she is a member.  Because she’s just as big a groupie of MWS as I’ve been of AG. 

A picture of the set list from AG's website.
Anyway, when I read the songs they planned to do, my reasoned approach flew out the window and I went nuts.  Y’all, they are doing songs from 1983 – 1988.  I was 13 in 1983; they’ll be playing the soundtrack of my high school career.  I am going to be in musical heaven.

Last week when I got Kim’s email with the set list, I made a playlist of the songs on iTunes and have listened to it non-stop.  My family is well aware that I’m going to an Amy Grant concert this week.  It is now officially a Big Deal. 

Y’all might want to pray for them.




16 comments:

  1. SO jealous!!!! I listened to her nonstop in those years too!!!! She was my 1st concert & it was so awesome. I guarantee I could still sing EVERY WORD to every song during those years. I remember being a roller skating rink for "Christian" night & they announced that she was getting married (to Gary). Everyone started cheering. Sorry you had a run-in with her manager & it put a bad taste in your mouth. On the other hand, it's kinda cool that they took notice of you!!! :)

    Have a great time!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heather - they definitely took notice! Regardless, it's always fun to find another AG devotee. Christian Skate Night - I totally remember those, too! Thanks for reading!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I saw Michael's original Friends tour with my best friend sometime in the early '80s. . .even bought the hot pink "Friends" sweatshirt (which I lost somewhere, somehow). You'll have a *great* time!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your joy jumps off the page...er, computer :) So happy you get to see her in concert again!!! Enjoy it enough for both of us, 'kay? :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tina - I remember that shirt. And kudos for the somewhere, somehow reference!

    Kim - thanks! I'm really, really looking forward to it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey...the set list has changed slightly. I will have to research it and get back to you!!! Can't wait to hear how the concert is for you...since you get to go a week before me!!! From one groupie to another, this is going to be great!! Gotta go crank up my playlist one more time!!!! I hope Emory doesn't mind listening to it for the 2 hour drive up to NC!!!

    Any chance you and Sean can cruise with us NEXT summer...with MWS????

    ReplyDelete
  7. PS...the above comment is NOT from Caitlin, but I don't have a Google account, so I used hers;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Have a wonderful time!! You crack me up. I remember thinking it would have been great if MWS and AG married!

    ReplyDelete
  9. How did I miss all the AG concerts w/ you, but somehow I got talked into going to Stryper??!!!! I remember meeting them after the concert & got autographs...on the back of my shirt!

    Somehow those memories don't compare to the Amy Grant saga of (your) life!

    Be sure to share the playlist! I'll probably want to get it too!

    Have fun!!!

    Love,
    Katie

    ReplyDelete
  10. Woo hoo!!! Have fuN!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Caitlin (AKA Kim!) - get me that new set list!! Can't wait!

    Meg - I always thought that, too, about MWS and AG.

    Katie - I remember the Stryper concert! Holy cow was it loud! You've been along for the whole AG saga - thanks for putting up with me!

    MHWTV - will do!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Cannot believe you kept this such a secret or that you are not in "the nearest the front you can be"!
    What night are you going? I want to make sure I am there in AG spirit, remembering!!!! Is she going to sing "Father's Eyes?"
    Love you, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  13. Chef Cookaloni3:17 PM

    Love the new amygrant.com color scheme.

    ReplyDelete
  14. yeah yeah yeah! I can't wait to see how you like the concert! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Mom - I knew you'd be amazed I didn't tell you!

    Chef - I bet you do.

    Stephanie - thanks for participating in, "Getting Ready for Thursday" today! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. That is so awesome! Amy was my first concert and MWS opened for her. I was so excited when I heard they were on tour again and went to look for tickets. I was so bummed. They are playing 2 1/2 hours away on a Wednesday night. I knew I could go to the concert and then get up at 5 to go teach my 4th graders. The set list looks awesome, I can't wait to hear how much fun you have!

    ReplyDelete

Hey! Thanks for commenting - I really appreciate it!