Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Back from Brigadoon

Last week was insane. I have never worked so hard in all my life. No hyperbole there; I worked and worked and worked. Good news is I was working with some of my now-favorite people in the world. And more good news is the 87 kids in the cast put on one heck of a fantastic show.

You know when you watch a movie and the credits take six or seven minutes to scroll through and you wonder what in the world all those people do? After working on Brigadoon, I will never wonder that again. There are costume moms and set builders and props people and tech people and mic people and stage hands and publicity people and rehearsal moms and ticket moms and so many other committees… I was one blessed production manager with all the excellent help making me look good.

The one person who really made it a worry-free week, though, was my mom.  She flew up last Sunday and took care of Rebecca for all the hours I was at rehearsal. Most nights I didn’t get home before 2 am; I couldn’t have done it without her.

Sean took last week off so he could be the orchestra conductor. He and his pit rehearsed for several weeks leading up to show week, and all last week they rehearsed several hours each day with the cast. He had an incredibly talented group of musicians, including two pianists who became part of the family. (I began calling them my sister wives because they were spending more time with Sean than I was! I thought it was funny but soon realized polygamy humor does not play well with the homeschool set.) Yesterday afternoon he came through the door looking decidedly depressed. “What’s wrong, honey?” I asked. “I miss Brigadoon!” said he.  Poor guy; he’s as sad as the kids that it’s over.

We have the cast party to look forward to – and I really am looking forward to it. Can’t wait to see the cast and crew and get a few last-time hugs from this great group.

While I loved every minute of it (well, almost every minute), I did miss blogging. Glad to be back at it!

Here are some pictures of the clans – notice the incredible costumes that were put together by moms of cast members!
The Beaton Clan (Amy's in the middle)

The Dean Clan (Michael's in the back with the red hat)

The MacGuffie Clan

And here are two clips of Sean rehearsing the orchestra. My sister wives are on the piano and keyboard. 










10 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry not to have seen it! I love Brigadoon and (more importantly) love you Duffys!
    We were away on a vacation-- but, hopefully, we can come cheer on your troupe next year.
    The music clips, by the way, sound great-- and kudos on the costumes! I'm impressed (and I'm really, really hard on historic costuming...).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Christy, you DID do an amazing job!! HPA Lansing is so blessed to have you...and so am I!! Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a glorious experience for you and yours!!! Memories that all of you will treasure for the rest of your lives.

    Wish I could have seen the production -- I'm sure it was grand!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Terri - I wish you'd seen it, too, because then I'd have seen you!

    Irene - you taught me everything! Thanks!

    Catherine - it was a glorious experience. Thanks for appreciating it with me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah! :) We couldn't have done it without you Duffys. Love this blog (and it made me smile - I'm all excited for tonight. It's a better day already).

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wish now that we'd recorded more of the rehearsals . . .

    ReplyDelete
  7. The orchestra sounded great! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I personally got a kick out of your sister wives humor :)
    Glad the show went well

    Katie

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Elizabeth Joy - your middle name is perfect for you. Just saying.

    Sean - I have more clips. Remind me to show you.

    JudgeJudy - I'll be sure to tell Sean!

    Katie - so glad you enjoyed that line. I thought it was hysterical!

    ReplyDelete

Hey! Thanks for commenting - I really appreciate it!