Monday, July 04, 2011

Happy 4th!

One of my favorite talk show hosts, Dennis Prager, came up with an interesting way to teach the meaning of the 4th of July. He modeled it on the Jewish Passover meal, and it's a creative way to show children and adults alike what today is really about.  He calls it the 4th of July Declaration; of course, I'm partial to the sweet tea portion.

On patriotic days like today I find myself thinking of my cousin, Beth. Her husband, Norm, is in the Marines and is currently stationed in Afghanistan. He missed his daughter's high school graduation last month and will miss dropping her off at college this fall. Norm and Beth and their children have had to sacrifice so much due to his service, and there are so many other Norms and Beths out there, including all the men and women who, over 200 years ago, decided they wanted their families to live in the land of the free... It feels trite to simply say, "Thank you," but that's all I know to say.

Happy 4th of July!

1 comment:

  1. Love this! Thanks, Christy. :) Happy 4th, miss you guys!

    ReplyDelete

Hey! Thanks for commenting - I really appreciate it!