Wednesday, October 17, 2012

All the cool old ladies are wearing them

So I took Rebecca to the library last night to find a book that she had to read for a report due this morning (homeschool mom fail.) As we were looking for the book in the children’s section, I heard a string of profanities that would have made a sailor blush. And then a young boy all of 10 rounded the corner; he seemed genuinely shocked that I was staring at him. I wanted to ask him if he used that mouth to kiss his mother, but in a rare moment of restraint, kept quiet except to “Shh,” him

I felt my little “Shh” was effective because he backed away from me and got really quiet. But then he started to point at me and gestured to his two little friends to take a look at the crazy lady. Well, if that’s what you get for shhing someone who's not only talking but cussing in the library... For crying out loud, it’s a library and the children’s section to boot.

Could I sound any more like a cranky old woman?

As we left the library, Mr. Cuss–a –Lot was riding around on his scooter in the parking lot. At the mere sight of me, he laughed. I could not believe it! What was this world coming to?

I got in the car, pulled the door shut behind me and stammered on about how rude some little boys can be, when I caught sight of myself in the rear view mirror. And suddenly, everything clicked. I did look a tad ridiculous:


I'd completely forgotten I’d gone to the eye doctor earlier and had my eyes dilated and was wearing the crazy sun shields. I was quite the sight.

Which is exactly what Sean said when he caught a glimpse of me.

No excuse for the little guy pointing and laughing, but I totally understood. If only there were a cussing sheild for his little potty mouth. 

Rebecca texted this picture to Sean in the middle of my appointment. I thought her view was intersting. But I had no idea she took the picture! I can't see the big E on the chart - I only knew she was sitting over there because she came in with me!




1 comment:

  1. The Lord was gracious to give you some writing material. :)

    ReplyDelete

Hey! Thanks for commenting - I really appreciate it!