Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Gotta Love LASIK

This is the sixth morning I've knocked something off my nightstand as I looked for my glasses when my alarm sounded.

Old habits die hard. 

Even though I could clearly see the bright red numbers on my clock, I still fumbled around for my glasses, something I’ve done elementary school. Even though I’ve dreamed of waking up with clear vision, I’m still shocked when the little green light on the smoke detector above my pillow is a distinct dot and not a blur. And even after seeing that dot in all its clarity, I still groped for the glasses. This new, “seeing in the morning” thing is going to take some getting used to.

The LASIK procedure went well. I was concerned, though, when all the techs getting me ready were four-eyes. Even the receptionist wore glasses. I tried not to think about it, and decided if the doctor walked in with glasses then we’d have a little chat. Thankfully, he didn’t, and I didn’t have the heart or nerve to ask if he wore contacts. I’d come this far; I couldn’t turn back now.

I had hoped for a little pill to calm my nerves; when I asked for it, the doctor said cheerfully, “Oh, no, we don’t do that anymore. We need you to be bright eyed and fully awake!” He did assure me that if I looked away from “up” that the laser would know and stop cutting. Well, that was a relief. Sort of.

When it was time, Sean kissed me, took my glasses and off I stumbled (seriously) into the operating room. They taped back my eye lashes, dropped in some numbing stuff and in 10 minutes my right eye was finished. Ten more and the left was done. The nurses got me to a sitting position and said, “Can you read the clock?” It was a little blurry, but I could make it out enough to realize they hadn’t changed it since Daylight Savings kicked in.

The ride home was rough – it was sunny, and despite the borrowed sunglasses (thanks, Amy!) it was too bright for comfort. Sean took off the hood from his coat and I buried my face in it. I can only imagine what I looked like to those driving by.

By the time I got home, it felt like someone had lifted up my eyelids, poured in sand, pulled my eyelids shut and rubbed them vigorously. I was really wishing for that little pill then! Thankfully, Sean high-tailed it to Meijer and got me some Nyquil. Within in the hour, thanks to the meds and prayers of many family and friends, I was asleep. When I woke up the next morning, the pain was gone and I could see.

That didn’t stop me, however, from knocking my phone off the nightstand as I tried to locate my eyeglasses.

I’m really hoping the involuntary rearranging of my nightstand will end soon.








No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey! Thanks for commenting - I really appreciate it!