Monday, December 10, 2012

Generic Queen

I love buying store brands. With rare exceptions, store brands are just as good as name brands but they cost so much less. I’ll buy everything possible generic, and always encourage the kids to check out the generic package right next to the fancy, colorful one they’re obviously drawn to.  Cheese slices, yogurt, frozen veggies – you name it, I’m willing to try the store brand. Generics rule the Duffy pantry. Three exceptions: Ritz crackers, Heinz ketchup and, of course, diet Coke.

Last Saturday, I was shopping with my dear husband. This is always a mixed bag. On the one hand, I’m thrilled to have time with Sean. On the other, the man is incapable of sticking to a grocery list. I have to make sure he’s stuffed before he goes or we’ll come home with all kinds of crazy. Mainly cookies. The man loves his cookies.

On this trip, I needed peanut butter. Creamy peanut butter. I reached for the Meijer brand and he said, “What are you doing?”

“Getting the peanut butter,” said I.

“Well, not that kind,” said he.

I’ve bought Jif Peanut Butter in the past when I’ve had a coupon or it’s been on sale, but I had no coupon for it that day, and it was definitely more expensive than the store brand.

“Yeah, I’m getting the Mejer one, honey,” and I reached for the very generic-looking tub.

In all seriousness, he put his hand on mine and said, “There’s bad peanut butter in this world, Christy.”

Twenty years of marriage and I just now find out he’s barely been tolerating generic peanut butter?!

Guess my list of generic exceptions just grew by one.


4 comments:

  1. Let's add Tropicana to that list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha... also, Spartan brand pop-tarts are disgusting. Not that Kellogg's brand is so amazing, but comparatively... :) love this post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chef Cookaloni7:45 PM

    Stick with name brand frosted flakes too... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XEKnJQxYODo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, and Planters peanuts in the jar.

    ReplyDelete

Hey! Thanks for commenting - I really appreciate it!