Monday, December 03, 2012

Kindred spirits

Oh. My. Word. Y’all, yesterday at church, I met Southerners. Real, live, born-and-bred Southerners! They moved here from Greenville, South Carolina so he could go to law school at Michigan State. They’ve only been here since August; they have no idea what’s coming.

They’re going to get sucker-punched in January because we have had really warm days so far this Fall. It was in the lower 50’s yesterday and should be the same today. I am loving me some global warming. I asked her if she’d bought a coat yet and she said she just did. At least she has better sense than I did. I didn’t get a real, Michigan-suitable winter coat until we’d been here three years.

I was in some serious denial. And I was seriously cold.

Anyway, as we chatted, I felt the need to really evaluate their Southern-ness, so I asked if she liked sweet tea. To my great relief, she bemoaned the dearth of establishments that serve sweet tea. “Everyone just tells me I can add sweetener. That is NOT sweet tea!” she cried.

I think I’m in love.

I got the sense I was a little too excited to meet two of my own, so I welcomed them once more and took my seat. That was, of course, after I got their email address and assured them I’d invite them over and would definitely serve brewed sweet tea. 

And I will do my best not to scare them to death about the impending layer of white that will soon be upon us. For that matter, I'm not even going to let myself think about it. I'm going to do my best Scarlett and enjoy the warmer temps while they're here.

Because January is coming.

Tea dispensers at Atlanta-based Moe's. Truth in advertising for sure.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey! Thanks for commenting - I really appreciate it!