Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Team Bella

This picture's getting quite a bit of love on Pinterst:



And I get why. Girl power! Who doesn’t love the stories of bookish Hermione helping to defeat He-who-must-not-be-named, Princess Leia, fighting Darth Vadar in a galaxy far, far away, Katniss, winning the Hunger Games? And Bella just gets married? That’s it?

I haven’t read the Twilight books (actually, I just had to ask Amy the name of the books), so I don’t know anything about Bella. But I do know that anyone who thinks getting married is nothing compared to fighting bad guys has never been married. Because often, marriage is war. It’s a war against my desires. It’s a daily battle against pride. It’s sometimes an hourly struggle against self-centeredness. It is, in short, not for anyone but a warrior who knows where her strength ultimately comes from.

So yes, it’s cool for girls to get all excited about Katniss and Leia and Hermione. But if Bella has an enduring marriage, she’s actually the one we ought to be looking up to.

Of course, I think she’s a vampire now, so that’s not so great, but other than that, go Bella!


2 comments:

Hey! Thanks for commenting - I really appreciate it!