Thursday, September 19, 2013

Here's to 7,670 days more

On paper, Sean and I should never have hit it off. He’s wicked-smart, organized, quiet, methodical, musically talented. I’m pretty much none of those things: I’m emotional, my idea of organization involves piling stuff up all around the kitchen, and my musical ability is limited to picking the best playlist on my iPod (which, I have to say, is a good talent to have). But here we are, 25 years after that first date, celebrating our 21st anniversary.  

We’ve had four houses, three kids, and I have no idea how many cars. I’ve been to more car shows than I can count, and Sean’s attended more Amy Grant concerts than he cares to count. I’ve come to appreciate, nay, enjoy musical theater, and Sean’s come to understand that I control the radio in the car – always. We’ve lived through weeks that turned into months that turned into years of seemingly endless fights. There were times I thought we weren’t going to make it. But somewhere in those 21 years we both grew up together, clung to our God and our vows and figured this marriage thing out – as much as we can, at least. Which is all we need for today.

Happy anniversary, honey. Here's to the next 21!








6 comments:

  1. Beautiful! Happy Anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an amazing testimony to younger generations. Cling to God and your vows when marriage is hard. Slowly it will get better. You are a wonderful couple and we are blessed to know your family. Happy Anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. I haven't seen that picture for a while. We sure were young, weren't we?

    Thanks for hanging in there with me. We've been blessed with something amazing and wonderful. You truly are a blessing from God and I love you.

    Happy Anniversary from your guy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Christie, I really appreciate you for sharing something about your struggles. Struggles didn't really start for my husband and me until year 25, but by the time six years had passed, it got so bad that I was convinced the stress produced by the relationship was going to kill me. My health was definitely affected. The choice seemed to be to split up or watch the marriage kill both of us. Thank God for anti-depressants! Things are turning around, but I have so much more compassion for people whose marriages don't make it. God is merciful. Blessings on you and Sean.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A VERY happy 21st to you! Good for yall, sticking with the hard but great job of figuring the marriage thing out!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for all the sweet comments. We are very, VERY glad to be on the other side of the learning curve!

    Cathy, I especially thank you for your comment, and want you to know that I do know how hard it is. Seems so much easier to give up, doesn't it? I will be praying for you.

    ReplyDelete

Hey! Thanks for commenting - I really appreciate it!