Wednesday, December 18, 2013

And it just keeps coming

I know I live in Michigan. I know it’s supposed to be cold. I know getting snow is no surprise. I know all these things about living in the north. But this year something has snapped in me and I cannot take the winter weather. I do not like it. Not one little bit.

I am trying to have a good attitude. I really, really am. Or I was, until the snow kept coming. It has been snowing on and off since last Saturday and I am sick of it. Absolutely sick of it. Sean and Michael had to shovel the driveway three times already and Amy and I were out there Tuesday afternoon shoveling and now I've just come back inside from shoveling after the snow we got last night. I'm thankful I can feel my fingers again.

(Somewhere, some long-time Michigan resident is saying, "She is complaining after one week of snow? What a wimp!" Absolultely correct.)

When I complain about the snow, Sean says, “But doesn’t it look like Christmas?” Um, no. We are from the South. Christmas in the South looks like grass (green or brown, depending on the type, of course). There’s no slush in parking lots and no wet stuff getting tracked in from the garage. To which he says, “But it rains sometimes in December in Georgia.” To which I say, “Do you have to shovel the rain?”

Pretty sure I win that one.

Anyway, I think if I just get it out there, that I'm tired of the snow, that maybe I can have a better attitude. I just needed to say I am already tired of the snow. I am aware this is a real problem since it’s only December 18 and we have many, many more months of snow and ice and cold and misery to go. And I’m pretty sure we don’t have any plans to move any time soon.

My living in these conditions should go to show just how much I love my husband. I suppose it could be worse: GM does have a plant in India. I could just be blazing hot all day every day. Of course, right now that sounds pretty good…

To all my Michigan friends who are hoping for a white 
Christmas - looks like you'll get your wish!



2 comments:

  1. I love your voice. Love!!! Thank you, friend. Cheers and some brown grass to you! M

    ReplyDelete
  2. From the 'other' side of the state and from a midwestern native...I don't like winters here either. The brown grass, the very cold air, and the lack of sunshine makes me long for midwestern Christmas weather conditions. However, I hear your words and salute you...let the native Michiganders say what they will. I'm not always 'smitten with the mitten' either. Hugs to you!

    ReplyDelete

Hey! Thanks for commenting - I really appreciate it!