Thursday, September 28, 2017

25 down, 25+ to go

What do Barney the Dinosaur and my marriage have in common? We’re both 25 years old this year!

Barney appears to have, mercifully, gone extinct but Sean and I remain just as young as we were two and a half decades ago. 

Hahahahaha! Nope. We’re a creaky, achy, grey-headed duo. (Yes, yes, technically I’m grey but I prefer to delay that look, oh, forever.) I had no idea my knees could be their own percussion section or that bodily functions we took for granted would begin to betray us. And we had no idea the children we lovingly brought into this world would just dip out and have their own lives, causing us to re-evaluate who we are and what we’re going to do with the next 25 years. 

On our anniversary weekend we took a quick trip back to where it all started. Hurricane Irma had just dragged herself through Atlanta and much of Stone Mountain was still out of power. When we pulled into the church where Sean and his family attended for years and where we took our vows, the secretary told us they were working off auxiliary power but she let us in and gave us free reign to tour the building. Amazingly, the pipe organ was on the aux power, so Sean got to play a few hymns.
We visited with family all weekend and on Sunday, went to the church we attended when we were first married – we were a part of that church and her daughter churches for the 13 years of our pre-Michigan married life. Perimeter Church was celebrating its 40th anniversary, so a celebratory attitude was in the air. We ran into Brenda, who played French horn at our wedding, and she enjoyed recalling this little gem: “Do you know how lost we got going to your wedding? Remember, this was before MapQuest and cell phones! We had to stop and use a payphone to call for directions!”
We also saw our dear friend Jennifer. She and her husband, Wade were a part of so many important aspects of our early married life. The two of them impacted our lives in ways few others have. It was lovely to see Jennifer and my goodness, how we miss Wade.
As we settled into our seats for the flight back to Michigan, and the dulcet tones of our Atlanta-based flight crew rang over the intercom, we talked about the people we were leaving behind and those we were heading towards. Twenty-five years ago, no one could have convinced me I’d live in Michigan. I wouldn’t have believed I’d have a 23-year-old son and two daughters hot on his heels. And 22-year-old Christy would never believe she’d write 500 words reminiscing on years’ past! Only old people do that…

Barney may be a thing of the past, but his song lives on. As annoying as it was then, it seems like a pretty good earworm for today:

I love you
You love me
We’re a happy family
With a great big hug
And a kiss from me to you
Won’t you say you love me too

Happy 25th to Sean and me!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey! Thanks for commenting - I really appreciate it!