Wednesday, April 22, 2020

Spring cleaning, blogger style

With this stay-at-home order I’m doing all kinds of spring cleaning, so I thought I’d do some cleaning of the cobwebs on my little corner of the internet.

(Okay, fine, I’m not doing that much cleaning. I can see dust from where I’m sitting, and I really need to mop the kitchen floor...)

When last I wrote, Sean had just retired from General Motors and we were figuring out how to live as a retired couple. After 35 years of getting up at 4 in the morning, I was concerned he wouldn’t be able to adjust to a different sleep schedule. He’s naturally an early bird and I’m naturally a night owl (shocker – we’re opposites) and I was really looking forward to him transitioning to a later bedtime. Our whole married life I’d heard other couples talk about shows they watched together and as silly as that sounds, I was really looking forward to doing that. But realistically, I was not at all sure he could manage it. Keeping his eyes open past 9 pm was a struggle. But after only a few days he began sleeping until 7 am. Which is sleeping in for him!

(And in the Be Careful What You Wish For department: the struggle of watching a Netflix show with someone who does not know how to binge watch is real. Real.)

The plan all along was for Sean to take a few months off and then head back to the work force in some way, shape, or form. After enjoying the no alarm clock life for eight months, he started the consultant life on March 2.

Little did we know the world would turn upside down a few weeks later.

So now we’re sheltering in place in our little apartment. We turned our second bedroom to an office and Sean’s working from home in there. It’s been interesting to hear him on work calls… he has a serious work voice that I’m not used to hearing!

As for me, most of my work with Midway Theater Company is on hold. We haven’t been able to announce our next shows or secure performance locations - but there is precious little I can do until we get back to some semblance of normal and people head back to work.

There are some normal things happening despite this decidedly non-normal life we’re all living. Birthdays are still happening and today is my oldest’s 26th birthday. We can’t celebrate like we wish, of course… we’ll make up for it when we can all be together again.
Michael's 9th birthday
(And how can I have a 26-year-old? Of course, I know it’s possible considering I have a rather momentous birthday coming next week but HOW IS THIS POSSIBLE?! Just yesterday he was running around the house with a cowboy hat on acting like Woody from Toy Story and now he's got a job and an apartment and a wife. Time flies.)

So, that’s what’s up with us. Lots of learning new normals and figuring out how to live within them.

I just hope this snow that’s falling on April 22 is not Michigan’s new normal. I am not interested in living with that!
Snow on the top of our parking deck. In April. Of course.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey! Thanks for commenting - I really appreciate it!