Thursday, July 06, 2006

"Oh, look at this one!

Each year our town has a car show. And considering the size of our city (pop. 4702) it is a huge car show. For several members of the Duffy family it is nearly a religious experience.

Ever since meeting Sean I’ve gone to car shows. Big ones, little ones, indoors, outdoors… it is amazing how many car shows there are. As soon as Michael, Amy and Rebecca were born they’ve been going to car shows. And Car Show Etiquette has been drilled into their heads by Sean: “Don’t touch anything. Put your hands behind your back, carefully lean in to look. DON”T TOUCH!”

Well, somehow my Mom had lived her whole life without ever going to a car show. She happened to be visiting us the week of the show, so we took her with us and showed her just how much fun it can be.

There were old Thunderbirds, several GTOs, MGs, and my favorite, Olds Cutlasses from the mid-70s. Mom, though, enjoyed this Mustang; it looked just like the one my Dad had a few (okay, many) years ago. That's one of our family's fun stories: My Dad sweats when the temperature is anything above 80. But when he bought his Mustang he didn't opt for the A/C. "If I get hot I'll put the top down!" Famous last words. He was living in Warner Robbins, Georgia at the time. Hot air blowing at a hot face didn't really work out too well for him.

Michael and Amy are really into the whole car show thing. They walk just as slowly as Sean, carefully examining each car, noting all the nuances and differences from car to car. Rebecca, however, was only in it for the ice cream at the end. Thankfully the mascot from our local ice cream shop was walking around and Rebecca got to give him a hug.

It was a fun evening even though I, quite honestly, am over the whole car show thing. But it is lovely to watch Sean, who absolutely loves cars, pass along knowledge and car trivia to the kids. And the kids, even Rebecca at times, really do love hearing all of Sean's stories. Stories like, "Oh, my grandma had this one," or "My Dad loved these." Even though we hear the same ones at each show the kids act like it's all new.

And when the kids take their kids to car shows I'm sure they'll tell many of the same stories. I guess this is how family traditions are made.

1968 Pontiac GTO

1968 Chevrolet Camaro

2004 Chevrolet SSR (Rebecca's favorite!)
1957 Ford Thunderbird
The Duffys in front of a really old Ford

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey! Thanks for commenting - I really appreciate it!