Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Who gives a barackobama about gerunds?

It started out so well; grammar/composition time with Michael is usually a high point in my day. But today we had to diagram gerunds. Can someone please tell me when he will ever, ever, EVER use that? He is not on track to be an English teacher, nor do I think he intends to be a grammarian.

The biggest problem is I didn’t just think it to myself; I said it. It was definitely one of those, “Did I say that out loud,” moments. And as soon as I did I regretted it because it opened the floodgates of, “Well, if you don’t think I need it then why should I do it.”

Unfortunately I didn’t have a good answer. Well, that’s not entirely true; I pulled out the old, “Well, it’s teaching you how to process information and it’s always good to learn new things.” But Michael’s on to me. He knows as soon as I say that it really means, “I cannot think of a single good reason to do this.”

I think if there were a way to connect gerunds or diagramming in general to basketball, I might have a hope. Or if I could convince him that Sean uses diagramming … okay, that’s not going to fly, because I’m currently using the, “Dad uses this math all the time at work,” so I don’t think I can incorporate grammar in that one.

Homeschooling is teaching me so much more than it’s teaching them. And what I’m learning is that I forgot how hard school can be sometimes. Not the actual school part, but the disciplining yourself to learn part.

While I never want to stop learning, I am very glad to be on this side of formal education.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous10:14 AM

    I'm SOOO with you on the relief in being past the formal education process! I LOVE learning, I am an avid learner. However, I love learning things that interest me and are of practical use.

    Something to ponder: Is it necessary to learn these things? What real purpose does it have, and is it the best use of everyone's learning energy and time?

    I think that is one of the biggest benefits of home schooling. You have some control over the busy work. Because in my book, diagraming gerunds for anyone who is NOT an english major is busy work. Busy work has its place in traditional schooling. It keeps young minds busy, so that they cannot think of horrible things to do to their teachers or classmates. But homeschooling gives you the freedom to structure learning differently. This is an amazing opportunity to allow the students' minds to EXPAND.

    but, this whole 'spiel' stems from my deeply rooted belief that diagramming degrunds...eh...gertrudes...um...geroodies...uh...gerunds is dumb. *grins*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually, I believe in diagramming, parsing, and analyzing sentence structure to the nth degree. I went to an engineering school and got a degree in physics first. Then I went to seminary. I find that I bring my analytical mind and experience to the language of Scripture and see things many other supposed interpreters miss because they are sloppy in understanding how sentences go together, what modifies what, and ultimately what the author (and the Author) intended to say and us to learn.

    As for teaching it, I'd say make it a game cause I think it's fun!! Oh, and don't bother trying to explain why kids have to learn stuff...God doesn't even do that!

    ReplyDelete

Hey! Thanks for commenting - I really appreciate it!