Monday, May 21, 2007

Light at the end of the tunnel

Today was a very good day indeed, as it was the last day of school for Rebecca! Woo hoo! I don't know who was more excited, Rebecca or me, but I’m pretty sure it was me.

I mentioned to a friend my excitement about the end of the school year and she commented on how most moms see the end of the school year as the end to their break, but homeschooling moms finally get a chance to put their feet up. (See, it is the end of the year – I ended a sentence with a preposition and I hardly care. Okay, I care a little, but it’s very late and I’m not going to try to figure out how to fix it.)

Anyway, Rebecca’s last day was Field Day, and unlike last year, the weather was lovely. A bit chilly in the morning but by afternoon it was perfect. She came in third in the long jump, which was great. She didn’t run the bases too well, had trouble with the plastic jump rope, and dribbling a basketball was not easy, so I was glad she placed in something. I did get concerned about me at one point; I was recording the times for the base running and I could feel myself wanting to trip the really fast girls so Rebecca could place. Goodness, the urge to just stick my foot out was very, very great. I know I would never do it, but the fact that I thought of it all dadgum morning long alarmed me.

Anyway, we finished with Field Day and went bowling in the afternoon. She may not be a great base runner but that child can throw a mean bowling ball. She did great and even though she used the bumpers I was amazed at how many balls she rolled right down the center. She is a much better bowler than I.

Michael and Amy will be done on Wednesday, and tomorrow they have three reports to finish. Michael’s report on Abraham Lincoln is nearly complete. Amy’s working on two oral presentations, one on Macbeth, the other on John Phillip Sousa. Macbeth hasn’t been as easy as I’d imagined. Sousa, on the other hand, just lends itself to a great oral report because you can play music during the speech.

Anyway, I’m glad we’re finishing well; the year has felt very long and in February I was quite certain I wouldn’t make it to May. But here we are, still enjoying each other and our studies. That’s quite a miracle indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey! Thanks for commenting - I really appreciate it!