Wednesday, January 30, 2008

I cannot think of a clever title today

I have found the most perfect diet – bronchitis. I came down with it last Friday, it hit me full-force Saturday and I was in bed most of the weekend and on through Monday. I didn’t eat all day Saturday, and when I did eat my entire diet consisted of Progresso chicken noodle soup and Sprite. Even now I don’t have an appetite, which is a new experience for me.

Thank goodness my mom was here. Michael was in a play last week and she had already planned to come up, so she snapped into action and started bossing me around. “Go to the doctor!” “Did you take your medicine?” “Why aren’t you in bed?!” “Take a nap!” I don’t know what I would have done without her here. She just left and there is a palpable sadness in the house.

So now that I’m back among the living I am anxious to post a picture of Michael in the play, Hamelot. It was a western spoof of Camelot. Michael played a cow farmer, One-Eyed Ed and he won the cast-voted Comedian award for the third year in a row. He does love acting.

That was our success for the week. Our semi-failure was Rebecca’s Grand Prix car, a competition of pinewood derby cars from her Awana church group. She and Sean worked feverishly on her yellow Hummer. They used the brochures they picked up at the auto show to make the design and to ensure the artwork matched the car. It looked good. Unfortunately it didn’t exactly drive well.

The way the Grand Prix worked was each car was in four different races on the four different tracks (those Baptists are nothing if not fair). Three of the four times her car didn’t cross the finish line. And the one time it did it clocked in with the slowest time. My engineer husband was not pleased. He began analyzing the situation, revamping the design and placement of the wheels. The mental notes were all over his furrowed brow. I had just leaned over to him and said, “Honey, just because you work for GM doesn’t mean your pinewood derby car is supposed to be perfect,” when a woman who went to engineering school with him spotted him and said, “I thought you were an engineer!” Ha ha ha. On what planet did she think that would be helpful?

Rebecca handled it well, but she was very disappointed. It helped her when Michael reminded her that he never won the speed award, either. He always won for design. And come to find out, so did Sean.

We got Rebecca a doughnut afterward to celebrate, and that did seem to lift her spirits. There’s not a lot a chocolate-covered sprinkled doughnut won’t fix. Or in may case, a can of chicken noodle soup.





The car was supposed to make it through the checkered columns... On the bright side, at least this way I got a really good picture of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey! Thanks for commenting - I really appreciate it!