Saturday, April 12, 2008

After the Show

My first thought: It could have been so much worse!

I whole-heartedly disagree with the way the Indiana Team was taught to "count souls." That is repulsive to me, and solidifies my decision to not send the kids back. On the up side, though, the girl they highlighted did eventually say, "It's not about souls; it's about relationships." I was very relieved to hear that!

I wish they'd concentrated on the Africa team. That work (washing orphans' feet and fitting them with shoes) is what TMI does best, in my opinion.

All in all I am breathing a huge sigh of relief. I don’t agree with TMI’s approach to “soul-winning” but I do think the exposure it gives teens to poverty around the world is commendable. Christians are constantly accused of neglecting the least and the lost; Teen Missions cannot be faulted for that.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous5:38 PM

    Christy,

    I very much agreed with your post. I was on a Scotland, Glasgow evangelistic team in 1981. I'm now a United Methodist pastor. See my posts on this at http://bobkaylor.typepad.com

    Blessings!
    Bob Kaylor
    Park City, UT

    ReplyDelete

Hey! Thanks for commenting - I really appreciate it!