Monday, September 08, 2008

Sorry Danielle and Chris

A sweet family at our church recently had twin girls. There were some complications and the babies have been in the NICU for two weeks. Friends from church have been organizing meals for the family and I eagerly signed up to take dinner over because I remember what it’s like to have a baby; I cannot even imagine what this mom is going through, having two new babies she can’t bring home to join the two precious big sisters who are waiting.

So I took a chicken casserole over this evening. I doubled it so I didn’t have to make two dinners – swell thinking on my part, I thought. Well, we just ate it and I must have left something out; it was not tasty. I won’t say it was bad but it certainly wasn’t good. With each bite all I could think was this poor, exhausted family is eating tasteless chicken casserole… maybe they’re so tired they didn’t notice. At least I also took salad, bread and brownies. Surely the brownies will make up for the lackluster casserole, right?

I should have taken ice cream, too.

7 comments:

  1. Anonymous4:49 AM

    Christy,
    your brownies are awesome! I bet they more than made up for the probably just as tasty casserole.
    Kati

    ReplyDelete
  2. ugh - no good deed goes unpunished! :-(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kati!

    I'm so glad to hear from you - I've been trying to send you an email for a month but my emails keep coming back rejected. Has your address changed? Let me know!

    Christy

    PS: Glad you liked the brownines. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. OK, so, are you SERIOUSLY feeling bad about delivering a simple, nutritious, easy-on-the-digestion (for a stressed, tired family), kid-friendly meal they didn't have to fix themselves, or even plan and think about??

    I bet they were delighted with every bite, and the kids probably sighed with relief, since in helping-out projects like this, there are always well-meaning goofballs who deliver -- oh, i dunno, tofu scampi with capers, or other kid-dreaded stuff!

    Give yerself a break already! Sheesh. Brownies. You even thought of sides and brownies.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous7:52 AM

    Tofu scampi with capers... That was priceless! I needed a good laugh this morning! Thanks Pleistocene!! (Christy - you have great friends!)
    MG

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Nostalgic,

    Thanks for the reminder that what I took was okay.

    But tofu scampi? Seriously? Where do you come up with that stuff?! Too good!

    Christy

    ReplyDelete
  7. MG -

    You're right; I do have good friends. And they're just so darn clever, too! Of course, you're one of them!

    Christy

    ReplyDelete

Hey! Thanks for commenting - I really appreciate it!