Friday, October 10, 2008

Rejoicing and Weeping

Rejoice with those who rejoice, weep with those who weep. Romans 12:15

We’ve been learning a lot about that verse over the last few weeks. All three kids tried out for a musical, The Sound of Music. We’d never done anything with this particular production company and I didn’t know what to expect. But the registration form made it clear not everyone who tried out would get a part, which was a rude awakening for Michael, Amy and Rebecca; all the other productions they’ve been in had found a spot for each person who auditioned.

Sean help them practice the audition song (“My Favorite Things” – I don’t need to hear that again any time soon, FYI) and we went over the lines many, many times. When audition day came I felt pretty certain they would do well. But when we walked into the audition hall I realized the competition was stiff and the possibility that one or all of my three might not get a part became quite real.

The possibility became reality the next week: Amy and Michael got a part in the chorus but Rebecca did not. She questioned her audition, wondered what she did wrong and cried in my arms for many long minutes. After that, she brushed herself off, congratulated M/A and went on to be genuinely happy for them. For Michael and Amy’s parts, they controlled their excitement in order to comfort Rebecca. I was amazed.

So today as I dropped M/A off at the first practice I thought Rebecca might have a twinge of sadness that she wasn’t going, too. But she hugged them, waved good-bye and wished them well. She is quite a remarkable little one.


(By the way Amy was cast as a nun. To say we (including Amy) have had many good chuckles at that casting is a massive understatement.)

4 comments:

  1. Hope the post didn't seem self-serving - I was just so pleased that the verse took hold in their hearts.

    Miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous4:30 PM

    No, not self-serving at all. Congrats to the elder 2, and condolences to young Becca (which is how Adam remembers who y'all are, "You mean my big sister's mommy?"). :-)

    If you haven't read it, I highly recommend Maria von Trapp's book about the REAL Sound of Music family. You can skip the photos, though; like most folks of their era, they just aren't very photogenic.

    Love,
    /tina

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous8:56 AM

    These are the moments we find much joy in being a parent. The true life lesson doesn't come from "making the play" or not, but how we respond when we do and someone close to us doesn't make it and vice versa. Here, here to the Duffy children! With that said, congrats to Michael and Amy and "sky's the limit" to Rebecca!

    ReplyDelete

Hey! Thanks for commenting - I really appreciate it!