Wednesday, October 08, 2008

Admitting a problem is half the battle

I met a new person this morning at church. She seemed perfectly lovely until someone asked for her email address. “Oh, I rarely check email,” was her reply. Um, hello?! How can you rarely check email? I must check mine two or three times every thirty minutes. My laptop is in the kitchen which is where I spend the majority of my day. When I hear the chime announcing I’ve received an email I am drawn to my desk like a moth to flame. There is precious little that could keep me from clicking to see my messages.

This never really struck me as a problem. I mean, what’s wrong with keeping up with the mail? Nothing, that’s what. But the other day I was in the middle of fixing a grilled cheese sandwich for Rebecca (any suggestions on lunch options for her would be appreciated because I am sorely tired of fixing grilled cheese sandwiches) when I heard the chime announcing an email had arrived. I was still waiting for the cheese to melt so I flitted over to the computer for a quick peek at the new email.

Five minutes later the smell of burning bread and cheese brought my nose out of the laptop and instantly I remembered what I was doing before reading the email from DSW which led me to their website where I became mesmerized by their new ankle booties and completely forgot about the sandwich I’d left to burn on the stove.

Is there a support group for compulsive email-checkers? Maybe there’s one on-line…

7 comments:

  1. You must turn off the chime! You will never get anything done, and your mind will always be partly listening for it. I know, I have been there.

    All those "organize yourself" and "time management 1 2 3" books insist that you check email on your terms-not at the sound of a bell like Pavlov's dog.

    I love reading that stuff-if I ever stop reading it and start implementing a third of it, my house will be ready to invite someone over!

    ReplyDelete
  2. But I can't turn off the chime... it's like my friend letting me know a real friend (or shoe store) has sent me a note!

    Did you turn off your chime?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My chime is off, :-(, because my email is in the school room and I'd have extra eyes reading every message if it chimed.

    Been there and done that with the burnt sandwich. Runnign to the basement for a quick email check NEVER works!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I toast my cheese sandwiches in the toaster oven, instead of grilling them - that way the self-timer turns it off and i can go back to my internet addiction without paying attention to lunch!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, now that's a good idea!

    Does this excellent suggestion mean you're enabling me...? If so, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous2:27 PM

    If you ask my wife, she would say I burn my family instead of grilled cheese due to my compulsive e-mail checking. How long have you been in MI?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Roger V - could that be you, the most fabulous Core 100 professor ever?! How wonderful to hear from you (assuming it's you, of course)!

    We've been here three years. I know, I can't believe it either. That whole, "For better or worse, in sickness and health, in Georgia or Michigan" part of the vows really got me good.

    I hope you, Deb and the kids are doing well.

    ReplyDelete

Hey! Thanks for commenting - I really appreciate it!