Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Remember me?

Tuesdays are good days for me because the kids have piano lessons and that means I have 30 minutes times three all to myself. On the days I don’t have a bunch of errands to run one of my favorite things to do is go to Sam’s, get a diet Coke with their great ice (gotta find small pleasures where you can) and look around. New books are released on Tuesdays so I tend to leisurely stroll down the book aisle, seeing what I should look for in the library. I also thoroughly enjoy looking at the business supplies – pens, pencils, notepads. I love office supplies.

I am sounding like a real thrill-a-minute girl, aren’t I?

Anyway, today, as I looked at the children’s books I thought about buying “If You Give a Pig a Pancake” for my niece for Christmas when I felt tears sting my eyes. I realized I didn’t have a clue if she had the book. I didn’t know what she’d like for Christmas because I don’t really know her. She was two when we moved and I’ve missed out on watching her grow up. Her mom does a good job reminding her who we are and thankfully we get to see her and her brothers several times a year. But that isn’t a good substitute for the monthly (at least) visits we had when we lived in Georgia.

I pulled myself together, got on the phone and called her mom who gave me great gift suggestions. Sweet Elizabeth is still into coloring and princesses and paints and Polly Pockets…she hasn’t grown too much since our visit in August.

For the most part I’m okay with our move. For crying out loud, it’s been three and a half years; I hope I’m okay with it! But every once and a while I catch myself getting a little homesick, longing for what was familiar and known and comfortable.

So tomorrow I’m off to find some fabulous coloring gifts for my little niece. And I think I’ll add a picture of my family in a princess frame so she won’t forget her crazy aunt. I’m not sure how much she’ll care about it but I know it will make me feel so much better.

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous10:35 PM

    Your homesickness makes me sad! I hope you know how much you're loved here, too! I tend to (conveniently) forget about your upheaval, because we are all so blessed to have you here now. Hang in there-something tells me she could never forget her crazy "Michigan" relatives!
    xoxo
    MG

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Christy,

    This post brings tears to my eyes. You know I SOOO feel your pain since my brother, sister in law, niece and two nephews moved from our neighborhood to Georgia last year. I am right there with you my friend! And I am sure your little niece will never forget her wonderful Aunt Christy!

    Traci Hall

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loving you from not SO far away - remember how far she had to come to get to us!
    Jill

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous7:23 PM

    Thanks for writing from your heart. It helped me refocus on something that really is important in life -- not all the stuff that so easily keeps us "busy" day in and day out.

    Love,

    Me

    ReplyDelete

Hey! Thanks for commenting - I really appreciate it!