Tuesday, October 07, 2008

Words have meaning

I read several blogs daily; I agree with most because, really, why do I want to spend my time reading stuff that just makes me mad? But I do make myself read a left-leaning Christian site because it is important to see how the other side (and several family members) thinks.

Yesterday I read an entry by Shane Claiborne. Claiborne heads up The Simple Way, which he describes as a community of faith, an intentional community encouraging people to know, love and care for their neighbors. Claiborne moved to inner-city Philadelphia and set up shop there. He and his fellow intentional-livers commit to live simply in order that money and things not get in the way of relationships. (They commit to a whole lot of other things, too.)

His entry yesterday talked about something he and his followers did with a donation. I’ve got no beef with that. But I do have a massive problem with how he claims the money came to him: “…We were given an anonymous gift of $10,000, money which had been invested in the stock market and now was being returned to the poor.”

When I first read that I said, tongue firmly in cheek, “Well, I hope they turned in whoever stole that money from the poor people.” Because something can’t be returned to someone if it didn’t belong to them in the first place.

I recently heard someone say each dollar you earn represents a heartbeat. You trade a moment of your life for your paycheck. With a few clicks on his keyboard Claiborne completely disregarded each and every heartbeat his donor traded to earn his/her paycheck that enabled said donor to give $10,000 to Claiborne’s ministry.

Words have meaning, a fact I try to remember each time I publish a post on my blog. I just wish some other bloggers would remember, too.