Saturday, November 01, 2008

Eggs on counter top = bad

Hey guys out there! I have a little head’s up for you:

If, one morning on the way out the door to work, you discover a dozen eggs sitting on the counter that your wife forgot to put away the night before, please don’t put them in the fridge. I realize you will have to fight the urge to solve an apparent problem, but in order to be truly helpful you will need to think about the entire situation. Again, I realize this may be difficult if you are walking out the door at 5 in the morning, but still, you must think further than, “Eggs belong in the refrigerator.” You must think, “Eggs belong in the fridge. These are warm and have obviously been sitting out all night. I should throw them away.”

However, if you do put them in the fridge, it would behoove you to tell your wife that before she bakes an 11-egg casserole which not only calls for nearly a dozen eggs but a pound of sausage, fresh red pepper and chives, and diced potatoes.

But, I suppose if you do finally remember to tell her it is best that you do so before she serves the casserole. Yes, that would be good.

Not really great, though. What would be better is if you threw out the freakin’ eggs when you found them warm on the counter top. And what would be even better than that? Once you discover the room temperature eggs you think back to the night before, ponder what your wife was doing, remember that it was an incredibly stressful evening, remember also that it was day one of her period and, upon remembering that, you not only decide to toss the eggs and pick up another dozen on your way home from work, you also bring home a pint of Haagen Daz Vanilla Swiss Almond ice cream.

Yes, that would be best.

But non-grocery shoppers, remember: we primary grocery shoppers will settle for simply being told the eggs were left out.

I have to go to the store.

5 comments:

  1. Dumb question -- i thought eggs were just fine stored at room temperature, for a few days only. CERTAINLY not long term, like refrigerated eggs can be. But if they were bought that very day, overnight is no big deal, is it? Most members of my grandmother's generation kept them in a bowl on the counter, or under the cabinet. They used them within a couple days, but they were fine.

    It sounds delectable! Did you eat it anyway, and are you all fine??

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought about that, but wasn't sure and since I was feeding it to not only my family but a few of my kids' friends I didn't want to risk making them sick... I erred on the side of caution.

    I made a new casserole. And it was yummy! What's not good suffed in puffed pastry?!

    And now I'll be spending a few hours researching the proper storage of eggs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh boy! What a stresser! Glad it was yummy after all!
    Love, Jill and Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  4. I actually went through this a few months ago after accidentally leaving eggs out all night. Everything I read said that they could be stored at room temp IF THEY WERE ALWAYS at room temp. The problem is with going from refrigeration to room temp and back again. Since we now buy them refrigerated they have to stay that way. You would think that would be enough to make me not use them but NO, this was TWO dozen eggs and my frugal self didn't quite believe. So, I made some applesauce bread and both my son and I got pretty upset tummies, so I threw the rest out. I am glad you didn't use them!
    Traci Hall
    Ps. Thanks for starting my Saturday off with a good laugh!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Traci,

    I completely know what you mean about not wanting to throw out the eggs – that was my major concern, too. This was one of those 18-count packs and I could not stomach throwing them out. But, I couldn’t really stomach the thought of throwing them up, so out they went.

    The one thing I didn’t mention was I did this exact same thing about three months ago – only that time I left the eggs in the car overnight. We got in the car to go somewhere the next day and Rebecca said, “Hey, there are eggs in my seat!”

    Glad your Saturday started with a laugh.

    Christy

    ReplyDelete

Hey! Thanks for commenting - I really appreciate it!