Wednesday, January 07, 2009

One is silver and the other gold

We’ve been here almost four years now (I know, I can’t believe it either) and for the most part I’ve stopped trying to figure out why. The first few months I’d pose that question hourly, not so much in anger but I definitely wondered what He was up to. Over the years that line of questioning has all but vanished (except when I’m slipping on ice, but then the question is, “God, did you really need to make snow and ice and freezing temps?”).

While He hasn’t deemed it necessary to show me the reasons for our move, in His grace God has shown me some of the blessings. Like last night – Sean and I were at our small group meeting with several other couples from church. These people are serious about their faith and theology. They actually banter about catechism questions and The Westminster Confession. They know what they believe and why they believe it.

All that knowledge hasn’t just stayed in their noggins; it has traveled south and settled in their hearts, and the evidence of that is how much they love each other. And they not only love the lifelong friends from church but they’ve welcomed the newbies from the South into their group, praying for us, crying with us and laughing with us.

And hoo boy did we laugh last night. These are some funny people with some funny/odd/okay-pretty-weird quirks. How I’d love to write about it but, like Vegas, what happens in small group stays in small group.

I’m sure I’ll always wonder a bit about our move. But the questions are quieted when I witness the graciousness God has lavished on us by putting such wonderful people in our lives who have taken us in, not only as friends but as family.

2 comments:

  1. God is good. He strength is sufficient. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Christy, I am honored and blessed to be able to call you a good friend and am grateful to God for putting you in our group!

    ReplyDelete

Hey! Thanks for commenting - I really appreciate it!