Friday, January 09, 2009

My Mii is not Wii

I’ve had the same New Year’s Resolution for the past eight years: lose the weight I gained when I was pregnant with Rebecca. Obviously I am not very resolved because a) it’s been eight years and b) I’ve made absolutely no progress whatsoever.

Two years ago I joined a local Curves. I hate to exercise but Curves looked like something I could actually do. And in theory it’s a great concept: weight-resistance with low-impact aerobics in a women-only environment. It was great for the first six months but then the ownership changed and the focus shifted from encouraging the members to complaining about the members. It was hard enough for me to be excited about exercising; it was excruciating when I knew I’d have to hear the owner gripe about who-knows-what for thirty minutes at 6 in the morning.

Knowing we were giving the kids a Wii for Christmas, I cancelled my Curves membership in November and planned to start Wii Fit in January. I started on Monday and the biggest exercise I’ve had this week is one of humiliation.

The Fit comes with a board you do the exercises on. It also serves as a scale. And when you start Fit you are asked your height and age, then it weighs you and spits out your Body Mass Index (BMI) and “actual age” which is calculated by combining your actual age, BMI and the results of some balance tests that are designed to make you fall off the board.

I was prepared for my weight and BMI (I have a mirror, after all) but I didn’t think my “actual age” would be 11 years older than I actually am. I’d barely had time to recover from that bit humiliation when the full-blown variety set in: the Mii the game created for me ballooned up to make me look like an actual balloon on toothpicks. Tie some strings to my hands and feet and my Mii could be a featured float in the Macy’s parade.

What makes it worse is that our family of Miis stands next to each other which means I’m next to Sean (tiny), Michael (tiny), Amy (tiny) and Rebecca (nearly non-existent).

I am amazed at how motivated seeing a computerized Mii on the TV has made me. So far I’ve met my goal for this week. We’ll see how next week goes. Stay tuned!

Rebecca, me, Sean, Michael, Amy.

(Amy didn't want me to use this picture because her Mii's eyes were closed...)

10 comments:

  1. Anonymous6:47 PM

    OMG! I can see how the Mii could motivate you. I can't wait to get the Wii Fit... I promise I'll share my family pic with you too. I will say, however, that you're not quite the balloon you describe :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You do NOT look balloon-like! Leave to the Ames to worry about her eyes being closed! What's that, the Wii's awareness that Amy is still snoozing at your early morning exercise time?

    You are totally making me want to try out Wii Fit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous9:35 PM

    I will love to see how it goes for you. I went to a place like Curves for a year with NO progress AT ALL. The Wii is really making me want to change our "no game consoles ever" policy! If this Wii Fit is worth it that may be the straw that broke the camels back. I am not sure I would want to see a cartoon of me. but you do NOT look like a balloon. :)
    Traci Hall

    ReplyDelete
  4. Linda, Jill and Traci - Thanks for the kind words, but really, next to Rebecca I do like moderately balloon-esqe. Of course, anyone next to Rebecca would! Believe it or not it's good motivation. We'll see how it goes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Traci - I know what you mean about the game systems, but the Wii is really great. We all do it together and it's been a lot of fun. You'll have to bring the family over and try it yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous8:51 AM

    I've sooo been wanting a Wii -- just for that reason! I love the family pic, too. But realize that Michael's bigger than Sean. . .you are so NOT a balloon!

    /tina

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous7:54 PM

    You make me laugh out loud! Now I want the Wii Fit, but I have always said no video games. Perhaps Santa will bring one next year...

    Tracey

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous12:44 PM

    OK - The Macy's comment made me practically wet my pants... I have also suffered thru the infamous Wii analysis - It is not for the faint-of-heart!!! We also have a "no video games" policy, but this is all good. We've had it for over a year and have had so muh fun as a family. It's all about healthy movement (unlike the rest of them). Go get'em Christy!
    MG

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous4:04 PM

    My husband plays the Wii one-handed from his corner of the couch...and he's the champ (at everything). It's his years of video game training.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous8:26 AM

    Christy -- that age thing is completely wacked out. It made me look "balloonish" as well. I think it's an evil trick by some young video game programmer who's getting his revenge on women in the prime of life!
    Love,
    Dawn

    ReplyDelete

Hey! Thanks for commenting - I really appreciate it!