Saturday, January 31, 2009

Speed Racer

Yea! Rebecca’s car did well in all four races! She won one and came in second the other four – quite an improvement over last year’s derby. She didn’t win one of the top spots but she was thrilled that her car actually finished the race this year. (Two boys whose fathers made no secret of doing the work, won first and second. Hello?! This is a church-sponsored event! Why don’t you tell those dads to cut it out?!)

Her mother, however, nearly lost her sanctification when the creative awards were announced. A car shaped like a Sprite bottle and a sled-car won. Excuse me? A bottle and sled are not cars – they’re a bottle and sled. Sean was beside himself; he only buys Matchbox or Hot Wheels cars that look like stock cars; no flames or fancy dancy stuff on them, so when a bottle and sled won he couldn’t take it. “Those are not cars!” he whispered to me. He already knew I agreed. Yes, we are car snobs.

So, another race is under our belts, thank goodness. I’ll need the year to recover before we tackle this again.

The Sprite "Car"


The Sled "Car"

Okay - I know they are creative but they're not cars. But I'm not bitter... much.

7 comments:

  1. You crack me up! I'm sure world peace is just around the corner now that family peace reigns. So happy Rebecca's car did well and Sean's engineering skills were not called into question this year. LOL

    I felt your pain yesterday, having 'been there, done that'. Like the time Tina was devastated because her car lost the design award which was the only one she cared about, 'cause the judges thought her dad had done it for her. He didn't - he viewed it like Sean does, a good chance for the kids to do it themselves with just some guidance and access to tools.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ever the purist... Duffys and their cars. Secretly, I cringe everytime Sam pickes a crazy matchbox. Poor Ben is more of a people pleaser, he senses my cringe. He chooses real cars! What kind of mom am I?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous2:39 AM

    They should add an accuracy award.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am sorry but a Sprite bottle?? PUH-LEEZ!! I totally agree with you Christy!! I have two thoughts:
    1. Was it a real bottle? If so, no way should that count?
    2. Was it a bottle shaped piece of wood? Then NO WAY did a kid make that and well, we have already covered that......
    Rebecca's car rocks! ;)
    Traci Hall

    ReplyDelete
  5. Chef - an accuracy award.. I like that.

    Traci - the Sprite "car" was, indeed, made from the same type of kit Rebecca's car came from.

    Jill - you are absolutely correct: we are purists when it comes to cars. My kids get is honestly.

    Kim - so sorry for Tina! Seems like the judges could have asked before passing judgment. I guess they figured because that hubby of yours can build anything that he must have made her car. Remind me again why we do this?!

    ReplyDelete
  6. A kit? Well no wonder my kids cars never made it down the track, I think Keith just started hacking up a piece of scrap wood...... :)
    Traci

    ReplyDelete
  7. Scrap wood? At least with our Awana everyone gets a block of wood. If we had to start from scratch... I can't even imagine!

    Here's what we started with:
    http://www.maximum-velocity.com/5600.htm

    ReplyDelete

Hey! Thanks for commenting - I really appreciate it!